• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New HT, newb

lazydrake

Jun 17, 2009
Hello. Great site here, have learned alot over the last couple of weeks. Anyway, I plan on taking the tech exam in the next week or so. With that out of the way I am going to be needing my first radio.

I have read that alot people recommend getting a mobile as your first radio. But it seems most hams have a mobile and a ht. I have been looking at the ht yaesu vx8r. My main use for the radio will be using 2m on the way to and home for work, having aprs when I go camping/hunting/fishing and just general listening to emergency freq. I guess my question is, will I be selling my self short if I go with a ht over a mobile?

Lots of repeaters in the area, the main one is 20-25 miles from the house, will I be able to access it with a ht?

Will getting a mag mount or permanent antenna for my truck help the ht tx and rx better?

My fear is dropping 500 bucks on something that I can't hear or transmit on very well. I like the ht for the aprs and mobility.
Just looking for advice, thanks.

If I had $500 to spend on a radio system, I would:
1) Buy a Yaesu FT-2900R 2 meter radio - new($160)
2) Buy a Diamond X-50 antenna ($100)
3) Buy 30 ft of LMR-400 coax w/connectors ($40)
4) Buy 10 ft mast and mounting hardware ($30)
5) Buy used 20 amp power supply locally ($35)
6) Buy a new Quonsheng dual-band HT from eBay ($130)

I think this will get you a whole lot more 'bang-fer-buck' - than just one HT that has some chance of hitting the repeater. The method I've suggested will allow you to have a base setup AND a radio for your getting around - all for about $500!

If I had $500 to spend on a radio system, I would:
1) Buy a Yaesu FT-2900R 2 meter radio - new($160)
2) Buy a Diamond X-50 antenna ($100)
3) Buy 30 ft of LMR-400 coax w/connectors ($40)
4) Buy 10 ft mast and mounting hardware ($30)
5) Buy used 20 amp power supply locally ($35)
6) Buy a new Quonsheng dual-band HT from eBay ($130)

I think this will get you a whole lot more 'bang-fer-buck' - than just one HT that has some chance of hitting the repeater. The method I've suggested will allow you to have a base setup AND a radio for your getting around - all for about $500!

I second this...;) I spent my money all on a VX8R in January, and would love to get rid of it for a mobile mount unit that I can also take inside and use for a base unit too. :w00t: I have found that just talking on the local repeaters is getting really old, there is no skill involved to make a contact, and that the real fun in ham radio is in the long range stuff. I'll sell you my VX8R with the yaesu mic, gps, and leather cover for a good deal if you are looking for the latest-and-greatest handheld from Yaesu.

If I were you I would get one of the cheap chinese ht's and save for a good base setup and antenna when you can afford it. .:D

LazyDrake:

The Yaesu FT-2800R is a 2 meter only radio. But it has a full 75-watt output, weather channels, and full repeater functions. For the price vs features - it is impossible to beat. You didn't say if it was a 2m repeater or a 70cm repeater that is close to you. If you want/need a dual-band radio, a used Yaesu FT-7800 would be my first choice for ~$175-200.

The Diamond X-50 base antenna is very same one that I own and use daily. Excellent antenna - can't beat it for the money.

The hardware and mast for mounting this antenna will vary - but that should be a pretty close price.

The coax I mentioned is the best you can get, as LMR-400 is the choice for either 2m or 70cm bands - very low loss stuff!

The $35 power supply price is about right for a used 20 amp supply; maybe a little more like $50 may be more commonly found.

The HT I mentioned is a radio that got a lot of favorable reviews. It may not be a Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom HT; but the Quonsheng rivals them for audio quality and features for less than half the price.

For another ~$75, you can also opt for a mobile antenna. In this case, I would forget about the HT and get another FT-2900 of 7800 so that hitting a repeather won't be much of a problem. But one must keep in mind, that these bands are dependant upon line-of-sight to the repeater antenna. But you do stand a much better chance with a mobile rig than an HT.

I think that most HT's work fine - if you are in a decent position to the repeater. But they only put out 5 watts; so you will need to be in the direct line-of-sight with the repeater antenna. Having a radio like the FT-2900 or 7800 is a little more forgiving, as they put out 75 watts to 60 watts respectively. I think most HT's are just plain overpriced - and deliver very little bang-for-buck!

Last edited:
Agreed with what is above,for 500$ you should have no trouble getting both a good mobil radio and a HT,along with the remainder items to set it up in house as well

I have found that just talking on the local repeaters is getting really old, there is no skill involved to make a contact, and that the real fun in ham radio is in the long range stuff.

I am also new to ham radio. I got interested because I go off road and canoeing a lot. I wanted something for emergencies, talking with the locals for info. It's a lot better than cellular coverage. I personal have no interest in long distance communications. Plus the APRS, WX, and gps are nice fetures for me. I'm sure the HF is fun but not practical for me. I also would use VHF/UHF on the road as I am a truck driver by trade.

I guess my question is, will I be selling my self short if I go with a ht over a mobile?

Lots of repeaters in the area, the main one is 20-25 miles from the house, will I be able to access it with a ht?

Will getting a mag mount or permanent antenna for my truck help the ht tx and rx better?

My fear is dropping 500 bucks on something that I can't hear or transmit on very well. I like the ht for the aprs and mobility.
Just looking for advice, thanks.

It depends.

First, lets define terms. Mobile = FT-7900R and like. FT-857 can be setup to be mobile, but is not a mobile.

The VX-8R with external antenna should be able to hit the repeaters around town and is simple to setup APRS.

If you go mobile, you will need to figure out how to do APRS. It will not be plug and play. Depending on where you hunt/fish/camp APRS might not help you anyhow. Additionally look at the form factor for mobile vs. ht, are you going to hump a mobile around here and there or are you leaving it in your truck.

I will also say that if you are into this, you will end up with more than one radio. I have a VX-8R and already know what my next radio will be.

FT-857 IS a moble rig. FT-897 is not a mobile rig. You might have them mixed up.

I like my VX-8r A LOT. It does a lot of neat things. I think it's one of the most versatile, well built HT's available.

However, I would not have it as my only rig, especially not if I was starting out. If I had $500 to spend, I would get a good dual band mobile rig. I would either use it in the house or car (depending on where I wanted to operate) and I would follow that up with an inexpensive 2m/440 HT. I would probably get an older Yaesu used, like a VX-6R. Those VX-6r's are terrific HTs. I like crossband repeating, so I would probably buy the Yaesu FT-8800r. If crossband repeat wasn't a concern to me, I would probably get the FT-7900r.

Either one of those two radios plus a mobile antenna and a used HT will put you right around the $500 mark and you'll be able to do a lot more than you would with just an HT. Keep in mind that this won't get you APRS capability, though. If that is really something you want, then we're going to have to explore other options.

FT-857 IS a moble rig. FT-897 is not a mobile rig. You might have them mixed up.

Although FT-857 and FT-897 can be mobile, I don't think that is the kind of mobile rig he is talking about. If he is thinking of that kind of mobile rig, this is a completely different conversation. It is also a good bit more money.

As a side note, I plan on getting a FT-897 as my second radio. I will be operating it as a field radio, so technically it will be mobile.

Thanks for all the replies. Will most mobile radios pick up the emergency bands? I really dont have a desire to set up a base radio. My neighborhood has some crazy covenants on antennas.

The reason I suggested the vx8r was for the aprs and the ability to take it where I go.

When you setup a mobile is it hard to avoid engine noise. I had cb when I was younger and had bad engine noise. Is there an article with tips on how to cut this out?

Thanks

Will most mobile radios pick up the emergency bands?

Yes. However some areas have gone to digital encrypted systems that you won't be able to pick up. You could google for scanner frequencies in your area to find out.

When you setup a mobile is it hard to avoid engine noise

That's really one of those "it depends" type of questions. All you can do is try it and see what happens. It does tend to be less of a problem with VHF/UHF rigs than with HF rigs.

If you really like the idea of APRS and using an HT as an all-in-one rig, you can certainly do that. I did something similar for my RV since I didn't want to spend the money on a permanent radio that will only be used every once in a while.

moleculo-albums-rv-station-pics-picture981-picture-dash-yaesu-vx-8r-2-meter-amplifier.jpg

Note the VX-8 on the windshield mount and the 2m brick amp to the right. I'm using an external antenna for the whole thing. You can get that 2m amp for about $65 from RFparts.com

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.