• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Imax 2000

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
I ordered a new Imax 2000 and rec it yesterday. The box says Max 2000 not Imax 2000.
Is this the real deal or should it say Imax 2000 on the box. It does say Solarcon with address of Ohio.

Thanks,
AP

They have been marketed as the 'Max 2000' for a few years now. The wording 'Imax' was an infringement on a trademark already in use so they had to change the name to avoid a law suit.

They have been marketed as the 'Max 2000' for a few years now. The wording 'Imax' was an infringement on a trademark already in use so they had to change the name to avoid a law suit.

Thank you very much, I did not want to get a knock off of the real thing.

You know most other companies that sell em charge 26-27.00 to ship the Imax. I could not believe shipping was only 14.20 for two.

AP

AP Do they sell just the groundplane kits for the Imax 2000? I have one but it needs a GP before I put it up to try it out. I am trying to decide if I should put the 2000 up in place of my A99 or if its really not worth it? Im sure the 2000 should cover 10 - 20 meters with a tuner hell my A99 tunes into 6 meters not sure how efficient but it does tune there.

TonyV225,

Yes they do sell the gp kits. I have an A99 up right now and am replacing it with the new Imax. I have two friends that replaced their A99s with them and said there was a good increase in rec and trans. I got the A99 from one of those guys and now I will upgrade. I also have a friend who put the ground plane kit on his Imax 2000 and seen a diference for the better but another friend said he did not when he intalled the kit. Also I heard that if you put the gp kit on it will not tune very well on 17-15-12 meter but I don't know if I believe it or not. I posted that question on this forum to see what the scoop is on that.

AP

AP, I don't know about the GPK on the Imax, but when I tested the GPK on one of my A99's I noticed a decrease in bandwidth, along with a nice deeper curve compared to an otherwise fairly flat bandwidth curve...without the GPK.

So, I assume this is what happened to your buddy that saw a bit less in tunable range.

Otherwise, I could not tell any differences in operating my radio, with or without the GPK attached.

Some of the guys reviewing it on eHam put their own radials on the Imax. One guy claims he used four different lengths of guy wire - all 1/4 W/L of 10, 12, 15 and 20m. Cleaver and cheap way of doing it.

I recommend finding the Imax 2000 on eHam and re-reading customer reviews of it.

I just put mine on a 20 ft piece of steel masting and that is how I got it to work on 17. Never could get 20m out of it. Never tried on 6m either.

Please keep us posted . . .

Last edited:
I loved the A99 for the reson it tuned great on 6 through 20 meter. I just hope the 2000 does as well. I will get it up Friday evening I hope to test it on the group that meets every Sat morning at 6:00 am 27.395 LSB till?

Some times we get dx in there.

AP

Has Imax2000 79.95 shipping was 11.50:cool:

Wow, how did I miss that! I thought I checked Sparkys.

I did not miss them, I remember now that I went on there site. The cost would be 26.50 for shipping to me through them so it is more $ for me to order from them. I got mine for 103.11 total.

AP

Last edited:
I think the shipping rate is dependent upon where you live. It came up as $26.50 to ship one to me, but still not a bad price.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 168

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.