• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW KENWOOD TS-990S

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
This radio looks great and extremely hightech like all the other highend HF radios made by the competitors and I can only imagine the final pricetag on this beast!!

281bes2.jpg

Just from the looks of it, I think I'd like to have one. Also from the looks of it, it's not going to be very cheap, so I doubt I'll have one very soon. It also looks like it's going to be a bit larger than most newer style or late transceivers, I really like that! Oh well...
- 'Doc

(I wonder if 'they' would have that 'hotty', what's her name, deliver and show me how it works? I'd probably scrimp up the money if she did...)

This radio looks great and extremely hightech like all the other highend HF radios made by the competitors and I can only imagine the final pricetag on this beast!!

281bes2.jpg

Hi Tony,

thanks&looks great. :wub:
Where did you find, presumably official flyer from Knwd ??

Rgds,

Nermin S58DX

I'd like to see the market research that Kenwood did to tell them this is what the average ham wants. I've been saying Kenwood is stepping out of the Amateur radio market and this rig, beautiful as it may be, is an example of that.

Hey Kenwood...how about another affordable radio like the TS-50 or a replacement for the TS-140S. Hmmmmm?? The TS-480 is getting old.

I imagine most of the imput for this rig came from European Aristocracy.

They may have something else coming to Dayton. I'd like to see a modern TS-50 with remote face, man that would be nice.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's a press release that I found. It seems to be missing from Kenwood's site now, though.

New Amateur Radio Product to be Exhibited Prior to Worldwide Launch

JVC KENWOOD Corporation is proud to announce that the prototype of a state-of-the-art Amateur transceiver scheduled for worldwide launch under the Kenwood brand in the winter of 2012 will be unveiled as a reference exhibit at Dayton Hamvention 2012 to be held in Dayton , Ohio, USA (May 18-20). It will also appear at events in Germany and Japan.

Reference exhibit model: TS-990 HF/50 MHz Transceiver
Featuring a dual TFT display and dual receiver, the TS-990 is a top-of-the-range flagship model in the Kenwood Amateur radio line-up.

Prior to the launch of the TS-990, a prototype will be displayed as a reference exhibit at Dayton Hamvention 2012 in Dayton, Ohio, USA (May 18-20), at HAM RADIO 2012 in Friedrichshafen, Germany (June 22-24) , and at Ham, Fair 2012 in Tokyo, Japan (August 25-26).
Please note that as this product is under development, published information is subject to change without notice.

You know what Tim, Theoretically the $5,000 - $6,000 pricetag really is not a bad price if that is indeed what their aiming for but I say its going to be a bit more than that in the end and when the final tag is placed on it ;)

But when looking at all the features and comparing it to the Yaesu FTdx 5000 Google Image Result for http://www.radiocronache.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/FTdx-5000MP-1.jpg and the FTdx9000 Google Image Result for http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0900lrga.jpg and simular higher end radios this radio if it was in the price range stated above it will certainly will grab alot of enthusiasts attention and their wallets ;)

Looks like a great radio, but don't you agree selling your new born or refinancing your home to afford a new HF radio I outrageous ? Should tar things into consideration that many folks are going under... if its more that $3000.00 that is really lame.
That's just my IMO.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I also posted a pic lastnight with a bit of info it is a very nice radio. I also agree that these prices are outrageous but there are people that love the hobby enough to spend this kind of cash. If you really think about it logically its really no different than an old car enthusiast spending $30,000 on a classic car or someone else buying a fishing boat motorcyle snowmobile ETC wht it boils down to is what a person like or enjoys doing ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.