• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Magnum series replacement for "S"

boomer111

May 7, 2005
Now I am thinking I should wait to see what the new series will be. I have played this game before with the first Stryker 440hp radio. Hell for that matter I am still waiting for their SSB radio, ha ha.

I think I need and AM first with a good quality SSB function. I like the package with the S9-175. Maybe Magnum will sweeten the pot so to speak with the new series.

Then there is the problem of buying the first shipment of a new series.

Did this with the 440hp and still have the channel selector go to 41 all the time. To lazy to send the radio in for the fix. Also have the original final and the radio is not converted to accept the replacement final.

Wish I could find out more information on what Magnum plans with the new series.

Missing out on some good sun spot activity.

Now I am thinking I should wait to see what the new series will be.

the only 'new' export radio i EVER bought that i was impressed with and still am excited about 24 years later is my loaded ar3500. no PLL export will EVER impress me again, and from what i see right now, MAYBE an optima would excite me and MAYBE a 12-10m cpu high power magnum would, too. my ic706mk2g cranks on AM, and with the processor & mic gain cranked, i can sound just like a galaxy on SSB (facetiously spoken).
can't say i would NEVER buy another export, but it's gonna take a heckuva lot more then a 300 watt mosfet powered S-9.

I have to say I have fun the gammit with all the exports made in the last 7 or 8 years, Ranger, Rci, Magnums, Alpha stuff, SuperStars, Road Pro, etc my;);) favorite still the the regular power Magnum Delta Force after a clairfier unlocking. It is an easy radio to operate, hears better than anything else I have had and is just a all around great radio. The S-9 is in that area with me too, just my 2 cents

well now your talking 10 meter export radios in the 200 to 300 range and your talking stuff shirt ham radios starting used at 500 so pick your poison, the bottom line is can you hear me?? My locals say I sound fine

well now your talking 10 meter export radios in the 200 to 300 range and your talking stuff shirt ham radios starting used at 500 so pick your poison, the bottom line is can you hear me?? My locals say I sound fine

That's 40 watts swinging to 90

i think mm43 was thinking t442 was talking watts, i think he was talking bux. either way, a well processed/compressed hf rig's 100 watts should look & sound a whole bunch better then 250 watts from a pair of 2290's (my 3500 is tuned just over 100).

I can rattle your freaking speaker on AM with my ts-430s kenwood at half mic gain no preamp with processor.

that was my point exactly. starting with my 101e, through myriad 757, 767, ic 735, ts440 up to my 706-only my ar3500 has ever been even close to what a freeband radio SHOULD be. while i've owned original 148dx, grant dx, pluto, 6900, s9, delta & 257, along with maybe 50 more in between, they just don't cut it. the 101e was my first, 35 years ago (and i still have it), and possibly the best am talker & one of the top sidebanders, though it's receiver was outdone by a few exports. but that's talking 40+ year old technology. almost ANY 80's era hf rig outdoes almost ANY export ever produced, xmit and rcv.
i could wait out the next magnums knowing my 706 can smoke my current magnums in receive and xmit, though i am interested in seeing what the lewis gang turns out......and unfortunately, it will probably be re-hashed 1980's export shtufffff.

the 45HP looks to be a better radio than anything in the S series .

if you're talking 'omega s45hp', then yes, i'd tend to agree with you. if you're talking 'galaxy dx45hp', then, no, internally they're all the same and 'better' = 'matter of opinion'.
i'm gonna assume you meant omega, but better is 'relative' here as well. the floating ground used in the delta, omega & 257 cpu controlled radios leaves a bit to be desired in the receive dept. not that receive is weak, but it can be a bit on the noisy side. i've questioned sam lewis as to the noisier receivers vs the S- lineup and that was his reply. speaking with 3 of his authorized repair centers, they expanded that response a bit more, and yes, technically speaking, a bit over my head, but they told me that based on the design of the radio, it couldn't be overcome. so be it. i'd like to see a true 100w, true speech processor, 'tweaked receiver', 10-12m omega. THAT one i'd consider.

if you're talking 'omega s45hp', then yes, i'd tend to agree with you. if you're talking 'galaxy dx45hp', then, no, internally they're all the same and 'better' = 'matter of opinion'.
i'm gonna assume you meant omega, but better is 'relative' here as well. the floating ground used in the delta, omega & 257 cpu controlled radios leaves a bit to be desired in the receive dept. not that receive is weak, but it can be a bit on the noisy side. i've questioned sam lewis as to the noisier receivers vs the S- lineup and that was his reply. speaking with 3 of his authorized repair centers, they expanded that response a bit more, and yes, technically speaking, a bit over my head, but they told me that based on the design of the radio, it couldn't be overcome. so be it. i'd like to see a true 100w, true speech processor, 'tweaked receiver', 10-12m omega. THAT one i'd consider.

yep , the omegaforce 45 hp .

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP 10 Meter Radio Review

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.