• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Penetrator 500 parts on the way!

IRock817

Oct 29, 2011
I've been waiting a long time to get back in the air! I had a friend call me and let me know that he saw a P. 500 sitting on the ground. I went and talked the owner in to selling it to me.
I've owned two Penetrators i the past and was exited to have another!
I've dismantled and inspected, ordered replacement parts from Hy-Gain. The aluminum is in good shape but the matching system, and plastic insulators are showing their age.
Hy-Gain has been more than helpful and spontaneous with the parts I need to get on the air again! I ordered one day and they will be here five days later.
I appreciate all you folks here for the helpful tips and trick that will get my station 10-8!
Carry on the good work and remember there's a lot of future operators out here learning from your forum then you realise.
Thank You
Driftwood

That sounds great....
Would u happen to have there phone number or address handy ?....

I have one of the old Penetrator 500 antennas here myself and need replacement parts also...

New Parts were here

This is what I was afraid of! The gamma wire is configured different then my old one. One of the legs is much longer and the top of it is actually a couple inches taller. The bottom insulator is not drilled for the bolt that attaches the bottom vertical to it and it's not drilled for the bolt that the inner and outer wires attach too. Now my question is do I modify the antenna or drill and re bend wire?
Any clues out there?

This is what I was afraid of! The gamma wire is configured different then my old one. One of the legs is much longer and the top of it is actually a couple inches taller. The bottom insulator is not drilled for the bolt that attaches the bottom vertical to it and it's not drilled for the bolt that the inner and outer wires attach too. Now my question is do I modify the antenna or drill and re bend wire?
Any clues out there?

Well I have the antenna back together! Tuned the SWR with a cheap meter and have 1.1 across 40 channels. Hopefully they go flat after getting it above 6 ft.
Great contacts around the country in the last 15 minutes.
I'm tickeled to have this great antenna 10-8.

What kind of coax are you using and how many feet , also are you planning on getting that joker in the air? I live 260 feet above sea level and ive got 50 feet of tower up as we speak, i had a 6 element 150 at one time years ago but it was a pain in the ass

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I'm using 213/U, don't remember the length! I have a buddy that has a analyzer and he's gonna come by and tune it for me. It's going to be a while before I get it up off the test pole! I still have some loose ends, ie the base for the pole and sealing the antenna once it's tuned.

Well I have the antenna back together! Tuned the SWR with a cheap meter and have 1.1 across 40 channels. Hopefully they go flat after getting it above 6 ft.

Did u use the new wires and parts? I have a P 500 1975 era model that needs some new parts but i'm leery if the new ones will work on my trusty old antenna.

Yes all the parts were used! Some minor modifications had to be done because the gamma wires are designed alittle different. No big deal though! I have the older version with the two bold design as well. Clean it well. I used mineral spirits and fine steel wool. Seal it well and take your time tuning. I don't remember if you have had one of these before! If not you will be surprised. Good luck and take pics!

Heya Irock817, so what did you do about the wire for the Gamma match ?...
Did you modifiy it or drilled the holes where they needed to go with the new wire ?...

Ive got to replace the SO-239 connector on the one I have here, and will go to a 12ga solid copper wire from the SO-239 over to the small screw the other end connects to...and replace the hardware and rubber/plastic bushing in the base of the antenna, and hope it works,...

On the gamma wire, one leg is longer then the other! The new ones or at least the one they sent me, the opposite side is longer! Why they did this is a mystery! Maybe it has something to do with the lightning protection thingy that are on the new ones?! So anyway get the new plastics and gammas, and check it out. It's an easy fix. I replaced the coax connector too. Cleaning all surfaces and went back with stainless hardware on everything.
Tuning was a breeze too!
All these parts are dirt cheap!! The total was under twenty bucks for everything except the top hat wires, which I didn't need. The stainless hardware was where the cost was!
If your worried about spending the time and money on yours, don't worry. You will be very happy with the final product. I guaranty.(y)

Reactions: 1 person
I still have my original Penetrator 500 from the 1970's I hope to rebuild it soon I've learned there is a fella named Jim Dent calls his business Outlaws Antennas he not only restores the old Penetrator 500 but will sell you the parts you need to do the work yourself. He has direct replacement stuff that doesn't need altered. Or at least he has already machined it to OE. 859-294-4605 www.penetrator500antennas.com

Last edited:
Got a question here.....

Ok the SO-239 is bad on the one I have here..not sure if it was a power related thing but the wire coming from the so-239 over to the bolt thats in the black plastic cap on the bottom the wire looks to be burt almost into...on the 239..

Ok, is this so-239 and the wire soldered in it, and the conn that is on this short wire, is this something u can buy or do you have to buy the so-239 and solder it all yourself ?......

Im going to replace the black plastic bushings and all the hardware on mine....all the aluminum sections, ect are all in good shape, and I need to get with it and clean it all up...

Oatmeal, I replaced the connector, wire, and the eyelet myself! If you can run a soldering iron it's a piece of cake!
I replaced the light weight wire with 12 gauge as I run alittle fire through that wire!
Go back with stainless hardware and seal everything well. (y)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.