• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New RCI-3900HP

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Has anyone played with one of these yet and has any info on the power output, SSB operation, etc. on this new radio? It looks fairly inexpensive at a little over $200.

rci-3900-hp-big.jpg

I always loved the old Galaxy 77, the 3900HP is supposed to be a new and improved version. I wonder if it drifts on SSB?

Gentlemen, I have one and properly tuned it will do abot 55 to 58 watts. It is loud on AM and very good on SSB. Since it has mosfets it does take sometime to warm up and get on freq.(y) After that she is very stable!!! I will not get into who tuned it... If you want to know just pm me..

Bobby

Sweet looking radio,much like the 3900 el backlit version here in europe (no doubt without the annoying whine that accompanies electro luminescent backlighting).

only thing i'd change is the talkback ( more like feedback) only good to those who like the sound of their own voice.much better with +10khz or beep on/off.

i'd imagine ept360015c board like the newer 3900's here,all in all a nice looking radio.

Sweet looking radio,much like the 3900 el backlit version here in europe (no doubt without the annoying whine that accompanies electro luminescent backlighting).

only thing i'd change is the talkback ( more like feedback) only good to those who like the sound of their own voice.much better with +10khz or beep on/off.

i'd imagine ept360015c board like the newer 3900's here,all in all a nice looking radio.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a 3900 EL for sure...no such luck here in California

3900HP

I had one about nine months ago, what I found was mostly good, Good receive good output transmit, little drifty on SSB so I unlocked te fine tune so it tracked the cource, then no problem, it has a plug in the back so you can use a counter with it if you want to, the radio looks good and I would rate it at an 8.5 out of 10 it has the 3600 board in it an I like all those radios that use that board in them, I sold it and got a RCI 158EDX that has the counter built in. I would rate the RCI 158EDX at the same rating, its a good radio also but uses the 6900 board in it, it has a little less drift on SSB, both good radios but the RCI can do 12 and 10 meters which is cool!.............Oldtimer

Gentlemen, I have one and properly tuned it will do abot 55 to 58 watts. It is loud on AM and very good on SSB. Since it has mosfets it does take sometime to warm up and get on freq.(y) After that she is very stable!!! I will not get into who tuned it... If you want to know just pm me..

Bobby

I have the 3900EGHP I bought for $75 from a local that just moved up here. GREAT Radio, 50pep, clean and loud. Has to warm up also before on freq. but i could have swore mine didn't have mosfets, I'll have to look again.

AKbowtie, thats a different radio then the new mosfet RCI 3900HP we are talking about here. Yours does not have mosfets, probably dual 1969 bi-polar finals. Good for 35-40 honest watts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.