• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Setup

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I was in the process of ordering a radio from bells CB in Florida. I have to go down to Florida to see family now, so I haven't orderd my radio yet. Before I give him the go ahead on this radio tell me if I am getting the proper mods done to it.

I want a Cobra 29 lx with a MOSFET final and a variable power. I run barefoot now and will run the new cobra barefoot until I save enough for an amp. I was hoping to pair the 29lx up with a 4 pill xforce. Will the this setup work?

Thanks guys
NICK

All new cb radio's come with mosfets now so all you need is a tune. That radio will work with an X-Force 4 pill but will way underdrive it. No problem though.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a higher power MOSFET. I think a cobra 29 with a tune will do around 20-25 watts. This MOSFET upgrade is said to do 35-40+. Does that sound right? I'm just going by what they say...

This is a higher power MOSFET. I think a cobra 29 with a tune will do around 20-25 watts. This MOSFET upgrade is said to do 35-40+. Does that sound right? I'm just going by what they say...

If that's what you want then do the RFX-75 mod, it's a single ERF7530 mosfet. When done right you will see 90-100 watts. I would do that as opposed to a dual mosfet mod but that is another option I guess.

All new cb radio's come with mosfets now so all you need is a tune. That radio will work with an X-Force 4 pill but will way underdrive it. No problem though.

All new exports maybe, but not all new CB's. The radio he's talking about comes with a 2sc2078 final. And no, I wouldn't pay for the MOSFET or expect 40 watts from it.

A CB into a biased 4 pill would make a clean setup, but might come up a little short on a competition style 4 pill.

Reactions: 1 person
All new exports maybe, but not all new CB's. The radio he's talking about comes with a 2sc2078 final. And no, I wouldn't pay for the MOSFET or expect 40 watts from it.

A CB into a biased 4 pill would make a clean setup, but might come up a little short on a competition style 4 pill.

10-4 on that, I have not payed much attention to new Cobra 29 radio's. Nick if that is the case then this shop is wanting to do a single final IRF520 mosfet mod. Many make strong claims on the wattage, 30,40, even 50 watts. I'm thinking you will see 30 honest watts after that mod. For the money if a Cobra 29 is what you must have then just do the RFX-75 mod. Or just look for an Export radio that does more power out of the box with a standard tune. The choice is yours.

I have the Cobra 29 LTD Classic SE and I like it. It's a pretty cool radio. I got it on ebay for 35 bucks and it was described as "peaked and tuned". I don't think its putting out any more power than my stock 959 though.
Just curious, how come you don't get something with ssb to play around on? I like having the option.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio