• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Stock Radio.

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
So I was going to Buy and convert a HF Rig and it wasn’t a money issue but I decided to buy a Galaxy DX-959B It has reviews both good and bad. I wanted to see how it was stock from the factory. The Radio stock sounds good but reports come back Sounds like a stock Mic. I connected a D104 silver eagle and with mic gain open reports come back. Sounds like you. Loud and clear. Then I put it to the side band test. And the same loud and clear from several people. Right on frequency ..I had to turn the clarifier hard left to hear but I found it was actually centered and pulling and centering the red mark on the knob was an easy fix. Everything is working good Not drifting as others have complained about. On SSB I did have to lower mic gain to about 11:00. It does not have all the swing to the meter a radio with a tune would have. But all reports said it sounded very good. Tried it with a KL-7505 amp on all power levels and it works like it should. I saw a video that said that these radios are tuned by the factory and most are on. The video also reported the Ten meter galaxy radios are also on frequency until converted for 11 meters then needs to be aligned. Going to leave it stock for now.

I got jumped on for even mentioning (un-mentionable radio brand and model type) including the conditions you'd be operating in. Alas, it was not enough to satisfy to their standards...

But I'm glad to see you have made your decision and you like what you have...

Wish you the best...

Reactions: NZ8N
Thanks Andy. I have owned and sold a lot of radios. I do have my keepers. Uniden Washington Cobra 148 GTL. 91 Philippines etc Time will tell.

Glad you like the radio but just removing the clarifier knob and re-attaching it so the red line is at 12:00 does not fix the problem.

Galaxy.jpg Galaxy.jpg
thumbnail

I've owned practically every Galaxy mobile at one time. I never once paid anyone to peak, tune, caress or fondle it. Some, I tweaked AM power and ALC, but that's it. I don't recall any of them being a drift machine. Even if it did drift, I'd just reach over a tweak it. Had to do that with most ham rigs I had in the 70's. It's no big deal. Only radio I've ever had worked on was an old NOS TR-296. I have no issues with a Galaxy, except the echo Roger beep stuff.

Looks like some people owe you an apology for bashing you...for your choice of radio...

upload_2020-3-3_20-48-49.png

By your photo, it looks like you didn't need another radio, you WANTED a simpler one to use...

Thank you for sharing this - I feel better knowing...

Reactions: S&W357 and NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.