• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new tech test

kc9owm

Oct 28, 2009
Tech test. Those studying to take the tech test had better take it before july 1, because the current question pool will expire then and the new one will come into force. The new one will have some graphics and diagrams which will be a totally new thing being introduced. The new pool contains approx 400 questions of which 35 will be picked. For those that will take it, good luck.
mike

It should contain 40,000 questions to keep fools from just memorizing everything.

I'd volunteer to write at least 10 of them.

It should contain 40,000 questions to keep fools from just memorizing everything.

I'd volunteer to write at least 10 of them.

That's harsh. How is a guy that didn't grow up in radio supposed to get started?

Sounds like you should know the valve lash and dwell settings and know how to set them before you could drive anything with an internal combustion engine.

I'd like to be the only one in the world with a concealed carry handgun permit, but that's not going to happen either.

Besides, if you eliminated everyone without an in depth knowledge of radios from getting licensed it would be kind of boring having just one other person to talk to- wouldn't it?

The current Tech test has theory questions which are childishly simple. Most of the questions are on operating protocol, and should be memorized. The general test had some theory questions which I didn't know the answer to but I was able to pass it just on common sense and three missed questions. If I had brushed up on my math and basic theory, I would have been able to pass the extra exam. As it was, I missed it by three questions without any study, or any kind of radio or electronics background. The current tests are designed so that anyone with a modicum of intelligence can become an amateur, which is as it should be.

I do want to learn instead of memorizing the questions and answers. I was thinking of buying a cd and book from Gorden west. I like a class room style leaning so I was hoping the cd and book are like that.

anyone know?

Mako1a:

The tech test is easy, you don't need any radio background to pass if you study the info and learn it, I found it much easier to learn the theories and formulas than try to memorize answers, it wouldn't have mattered to me if the question pool was 500 or 5000.

Nursecosmo,

What planet are you from? The extra test has so many questions about so many different subjects it almost makes your head hurt, but then again there a a lot of possibilities for the question on your test. None the less, that is an accomplishment without studying

Airplane1

Go to the ARRL website and see if there is a club in your area that has classes on the exams, I know the local club here offers tech and general classes once a year

That's harsh. How is a guy that didn't grow up in radio supposed to get started?

umm I don't know, how about by actually learning the theory behind the answer instead of just memorizing the answers? I've seen it done!

Sounds like you should know the valve lash and dwell settings and know how to set them before you could drive anything with an internal combustion engine.

have you actually seen the tech test? Your comparison is ridiculous but to explain further, I would expect anyone driving a car to know that it has an engine. Tech test = cars have engines.

I'd like to be the only one in the world with a concealed carry handgun permit, but that's not going to happen either.

Ridiculous rambling that is not related to this thread in any way and only hurts the point you were trying to make.

Besides, if you eliminated everyone without an in depth knowledge of radios from getting licensed it would be kind of boring having just one other person to talk to- wouldn't it?

Never said I wanted to eliminate anyone.

Almanac figures

According to my 2010 Almanac there are only 6 million hams in the world.
The last 5 years has seen the loss of 50,000 hams. Economy will rout more.

Seems to me you would want to encourage more people to become licensed operators before you run out of people to talk to.

Before I took my test I had never been to a ham function. That makes "learn the theory" rather difficult from a book only perspective.

Most days I see more cows than people. I just want to find out if the cities are still full up.

?

How about the same way my dentist became a dentist. How about the same way my wife became a nurse. STUDY AND LEARN! It's really not that hard to do. As I have said many times on this topic, I'm sure as hell glad my dentist didn't simply just ,e,orize the amswers to his final exam. :blink:

I say, in five years or so, no test will be needed for a Tech license. All you'll have to do is pay a license fee and your on the radio. The General and Extra will still need an exam but the test will be much easier to pass. :eek:

Capt Kilowatt, sorry but my years of "Study and Learn" are over. Penn State-Mechanical Engineering major and 30 years in the workforce. I'm 59, retired and decided to get a HAM license because I thought it might be "Fun".

I passed the technicians test last week and am now waiting for my license/call sign. The test was so naturally easy I may go ahead and test for the general license before ever getting on the air.

If you hand me a resistor I'll probably throw it in the trash. I have no interest in building a radio, tuning an antenna or doing anything except pushing buttons. If I get the hang of my HT and like it I will probably get a base unit and hire out the antenna installation. (Don't worry, I'll ask the installers if they "know the theory") Dave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.