• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to CB's, few questions!

Mordeth

Nov 28, 2005
Hello,

I am very new to CB's. I am interested in getting myself started and have some basic questions I was hoping someone can help me with. I have done a few weeks worth of research so far.

1) I have narrowed down my choice of radios to:
- Cobra 25 WX NW ST
or
- Uniden PC 78 ELITE

I realize that these 2 radios are very similar, but does anyone have anything to say to push me over the edge either way?

2) I plan on purchasing the Wilson 1000 Mag mount antenna. I know that this is sufficient for my use, but my question is regarding the Magnet Mount. How well do these things stick to the car? I am worried that the magnet is not strong enough and will just blow off at high speeds. Anyone have any experience with these Wilson Magnet Antenna mounts?

3) Other than the radio itself and the antenna, is there anything else that I need to get started? I assume that the coax I need for the antenna comes with it. Am I missing anything? Anyone have any further suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

welcome 1st of all...
the wilson is a great antenna, I run 2 of them myself, cant complain a bit about the way the work. and as long as it'll stick to the metal...it'll hold....up to 100mph I can vouch for..hehe
now between the 2 radios....very close, the main differences would be bells and whistles, I had a 25, good radio and teh advantage being that its nice and small as well...thats where I'd give it the edge!

Welscome to the forum!!! I have never ran 78 but they do hav and advantage to the Cobra, It has a built in swr meter which will alow you to tune your antenna without the need for a external meter. The 25 is nice as well I myself own one and its no longer stock but it worked well when it was.

Thanks for the responses!

I knew it would be a toss-up between the two radios...looks like I may be flipping a coin here.

Is there anything else I am missing that I need to purchase other than the Radio itself and the antenna? All I am looking for is a very basic setup to get me started.

I have to agree with everyone. The Wilson 1000 is a great antenna. As for the 2 radio's go.. I would try to fine an OLDER Uniden 68 or 78 radio. The old one's were made better.. There about a $150.00. And there is a a lot of mod's you can do to them..

those newer Cobras are junk. of you desire a radio with Wx band try bidding on this Midland 79-290 up for a mere $70 right now. It will talk circles around the Cobra ... and when you pk/tune it and replace the junk factory mic., things get even better!
Midland 79-290 on eBay

No Wx but a goodie also:
used Midland Power Max

There are Galaxy mobiles up for bid as well ... much better than the two Uniden and Cobra models.

new Midland Power Max

The Unidens have a mail-in rebate right now. I think it is $30 for the 68 Elites and $40 for the 78 Elites. For the price after rebate you can't beat the radios.

Mordeth said:
Thanks for the responses!

I knew it would be a toss-up between the two radios...looks like I may be flipping a coin here.

Is there anything else I am missing that I need to purchase other than the Radio itself and the antenna? All I am looking for is a very basic setup to get me started.
You will need an SWR meter as 197 said if you dont buy the 78. You will also need a small coax jumper to go from the radio to the meter.

Thanks for all of the help and replies. Thanks especially to bcrewcaptain and a few others whom I spoke with in the chatroom last night.

I decided on the Uniden 78 Elite and the Wilson 1000 Mag Mount. I went with the Uniden due to the $40.00 rebate currently being offered and the built in SWR meter. I just ordered everything today and expect shipment in about a week. Thanks again all!

What can be junk to somebody else can and could work just fine for somebody else . You can buy a Uniden 68XL refurb (like new) from Uniden for a grand total of 58.00 shipped , the radio can be modded very nicely and walk and talk just as good as anything else out there .....Yeap !! could be concedered "junk" by others because it doesn't have a price tag of 4 or 5 times higher and have some fancy name on it !! but treated and tuned the right way and maybe even with a little power on the side ,it will perform ,transmit and receive with the best of them (-: .....I personally love it when "junk" works !! Uniden PC-68XL Peace

Switch Kit said:
What can be junk to somebody else can and could work just fine for somebody else . You can buy a Uniden 68XL refurb (like new) from Uniden for a grand total of 58.00 shipped , the radio can be modded very nicely and walk and talk just as good as anything else out there .....Yeap !! could be concedered "junk" by others because it doesn't have a price tag of 4 or 5 times higher and have some fancy name on it !! but treated and tuned the right way and maybe even with a little power on the side ,it will perform ,transmit and receive with the best of them (-: .....I personally love it when "junk" works !! Uniden PC-68XL Peace

Thank you Switch Kit for the post.. I like junk also :D :D

the new Cobra radios now being built by Giant are the best they've been in years. even the 148GTL chassis has shown marked improvements in several previous trouble spots since the recent switch in manufacturers. the 29's (or the 78) will do 9.5 - 10W of carrier and 40 - 45W PEP when the 2078 is replaced with the 1969 and the proper attention given to matching the differing base and collector impedances. other than all of this the Uniden PC78 and the 29 are the same radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.