• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to HAM

tankthebiker

Feb 12, 2014
Good evening yall. I am getting interested in the ham radio world. I am interested as to what bands yall woul recommend to work toward. I plan to install a mobile unit iny truck if that makes any difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

With no feel for what you might be interested in, here is an idea for HF radio.
A nice Kenwood TS480 SAT at 100 watts or the HX model at 200 watts would do well on the 40 meter band in the daytime and evening.
If DX was an interest the 20 meter band and a good antenna like the Texas Bug catcher would be the antenna but it's high as opposed to an multi band adjustable type.
In any event a good antenna will be pretty high.
I believe 13 feet +/- is the limit in most states.
For repeater use any 2m/70cm mobile radio with dedicated antenna would be in order.
You have to decide on what you want to do first before investing in equipment to any large degree.
Good luck.

I am interested in getting communication for long drives and emergency. I find the technology both old andcnew very intriguing. I will say that a 2m/70cm is most likely what I will be doing as a 13ft antenna on a new truck would likely tick off the boss. I am also trying to hold it within a decent budget as I don't want to go overboard just yet.

I may be wrong but I believe K3MF's reference to 13 feet was the overall height above ground and not just the antenna height. Since 13'6" is the typical max height of a truck without a special permit bridges etc are designed to be at least this high. Anything over that and you run the risk of whacking bridge underpasses, wires across the road etc.

Yes the reference is to 13.5 feet from the ground in the state of Pa. and is a law a police officer can call one on if he desires..
My son ran a Texas Bug Catcher and limited it to 13 feet.
This antenna is a center load with a coil that is 4" in dia. by 12" long.
One of the best in efficiency that can be used mobile for 75,40, 20m etc..
Takes a pretty stout mounting setup.
Good luck.

I've 'played' mobile for a long time. The higher bands are much easier to 'do', mainly because the antennas aren't quite so tall. That bug catcher type antenna is a very good HF mobile antenna but it's tall. You can shorten it to some extent depending on the band of interest though. I've seen them on semi-trucks and they were not really taller than the trailer. That shortening does have a consequence though, it's narrower banded. Still works fine but you have to do some tuning of it to get it far from it's 'designed' frequency.
And then there are the remotely adjustable HF antennas called 'screwdriver' antennas cuz they use a cordless screw driver motor and a remote control. They are expensive.
Best advice I can think of is to listen to several of the ham bands, see if there's any particular ones that appeal to you. That's not so easy, how do do any listening, right?
I think ham radio is fun. Some people don't think so, and that's okay too.
Have fun...
- 'Doc

I really appreciate all of yalls input. I am researching every aspect from antenna to radios to how to properly power a mobile unit in a car. Luckily I am employed with a bunch of sparkies and engineers that I can bounce advice off of.

I have a 2/70 Comet that works great. 41" and the 5" mag mount has never slipped. You can always take it off and stick it in the back seat to go stealth.
Plenty of nice 2/70 radios out there. My first was Yaesu 8800. Never a problem in 4 years.

Good evening yall. I am getting interested in the ham radio world. I am interested as to what bands yall woul recommend to work toward. I plan to install a mobile unit iny truck if that makes any difference.

study and get your ticket try to earn a generals so you can have access to all the bands....(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.