• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to me 2m all mode

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
traded a china talkie with a dual band mad mount and a speaker mic for this, it's a Kenwood TR-9000

plans include running it on my 4 element quad for now and EVENTUALLY building a huge quad, not sure how big, at least 8 element, MAYBE 16, maybe stacked? maybe 4x 8 element stacked?

That and an RM italy kl145 vhf amp, it is SSB capable, so why not, and 10 watts in SSB should yield around 125-150 watts out

Woody Tr9000 Photos by ericfx1984 | Photobucket

Reactions: 1 person

I'm interested in hearing how things work out. In theory I would like to try 2m SSB, but I'm worried about going through all the trouble and finding out that no one in my area/region is using it.

I am also looking to do some SSB on 2m. Might bring the Icom 706MIIG out of the mobile until i get back my TS790a from the shop and see what happens. Have a Mirage B3016 to help push the signal a bit and the stacked cushcraft 215's but vertical, so dont know how well yet for SSB:blink:

I have had folks in my area inform me that 2 meter ssb in my area is alive and well,and even a modest set up can net you 150 to 200 mile contacts ......sounds very interesting to me

That radio should do well on SSB and CW, but will be very awkward for FM. No tone encoder. FM repeaters will be almost impossible.
- 'Doc

Well so far my first contact has been made :)

However it was setup over the phone, and I was vertical, he was horizontal, so it was very easy to understand and copy, but only about 2-3 on the meter, of course that is not bad for the 12 miles and change in polarization of the antennas

Polarity change can be drastic. Over a 45 mile path I worked two guys that were 1/4 mile apart with the same power and same antenna. Both had ten elements while I hd eleven elements horizontal. The guy that was also horizontal was S-9 while the guy with the vertical beam was not even heard. It is very common on VHF to see much more than the theoretical 25 dB difference due to polarity.

yeah I figured, when he switched to his j pole (vertical) he said I was coming in at s5-s6 on the meter, even though the j pole was only 15 feet, while the halo was at nearly 35ft (my j pole is also just shy of 40 ft)

That is an awesome looking rig.... a friend of mine had one years ago and he had a 60 foot tower with a 12 element beam up there ... I used to hang out at his shack and we made contacts clear over the lake (Lake Erie) into Michigan in the Detroit area with 100 watts from Northeast Ohio into Detroit... Nowdays VHF and UHF is almost dead here in Northeast Ohio... I once had 34 repeaters that were so busy that some days you could hardly find a spot to get in for a QSO, but now there only seems to be a few people here and there if youre lucky and only on a couple of repeaters.

I guess these guys are die hards, for UHF/VHF like I am, I took all my gear out of moth balls after 10 years of being off the air but to my surprise the airwaves are silent all day.... it's a shame because of how many hams used to be on the repeaters, I guess nowdays they are all using cell phones, and computers...

You're lucky to have activity in your part of the country....

i had a kenwood ts700a and Jack had one like yours,we talked to a station in TX and we are in Missouri...we where running less than 20 wtts...I had a homemade 10 elm beam and jack had a 13b2 at 40 ft and mine was 25 ft...2 mtr ssb is great,73 de JW

I hate to be the bearer of bad news,,,,,,,

That radio is absolute J U N K!

Since I am an administrator here and do not want our members to suffer with this junk, you can send me the radio and I will make sure your suffering is minimized :D ;) :whistle:

I am only in Illinois, not far from you, so shipping should be cheap

Reactions: 3 people
Congrats on the TR-9000. Nice radios.

I have a TS-700sp, a KLM 2m 16lbx. There is some activity in my area as well. I hope to get my antenna up some time this spring. Then maybe make some club contacts.

kj4unx

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.