• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to scanner and Shortwave

thetnhillbilly

Jun 28, 2006
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Just picked this scanner (BC 248 CLT) up for $25 and am wondering if there are any mods, or mabey a manual.

I also got a Radio Shack SW-100 and a Realistic DX-160 for $15 each. The SW-100 doesn't seem to work right, it picks up some of the stronger FM stations in town even when the SW or CB bands are selected. Is that normal? Worth fixing or sell it off? Haven't had a chance to set up the DX-160 yet, I'm sure I'll have more questions when I do.

The manual for your scanner can be found at:

http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BC248CLTom.pdf

Are you sure you are hearing FM stations? If you are close to a AM broadcast transmitter the reciever might be overloading and showing up all over the dial.You could try the reciever at a different location.

there isnt any cell mods for your bc, the only thing i can think of is adding a external bnc connector so you can use a good antenna.

yes

for reception the longer the antenna the better. if you will be transmitting you need to be a percentage of a wavelength but for reception the longer the better. all you are doing is capturing wavelengths. solder a 30 foot long piece of wire to the antenna connection in the scanner and run it up the side of your house. you will hear everything. for my scanner (2m kenwood tk271-a radio) im using a 26 foot wire and i get 30/9 at over 25 air miles from the source when they are using low power. with a 2m antenna i get 4 s-units and a "scanner" antenna (a good discone) i get 3 s-units, a mobile wire dipole style get me 1 s-unit.

analergy i will use..

when i take my HT and deside to hook it up to my base GP-9 dual bander that is at base 52 or 54 ft high
or hook to my VHF or UHF beams

people seem amazed how i hit repeaters 60 to 80 miles(100 to 150 on beams) out with ease......ofcourse both my 706 MKIIG or IC-7000 will do far better...lol then my HT.....but whwn i tell people i am on a HT even telling them the antenna....many are like....no way

Thanks for the manual link for the scanner.

They definately seem to be FM stations I'm picking up on the CB band, I can switch over to FM and tune around to find the same song/DJ. They don't come in very well, but do block that section of the band from coming in. I also can't tune in any CB chat, not even on ch19. The SW-100 must be screwed up, huh? For $15 it was worth a try.

Regarding the antenna for the scanner, can I hook a better antenna up to the am antenna jacks to improve scanner reception (and what kind would work here), or do I need to add/solder a separate connection?

well...

those scanners (most "scanners" )(even my IC-R3 is poor on HF)
will not pick up well on HF

if you are hearing FM DJ's on HF (11 meters)
is likly bleeding over from upper frequencys

but as you said....for $15
How could you go wrong

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio