• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie question about handheld

jashber

Oct 15, 2008
Hi there, I'm glad to join this wonderful forum!!

I just got a General Electric "Help" handheld CB radio, and I was wondering a couple of things. What kind of range can I expect to get with it? It comes with a telescoping magnetic roof-mount antenna.

I can only use a handheld CB, because I will be using it in somebody else's car, not mine, and they don't want a CB radio installed. Now, should I buy a better handheld radio than the GE, or should I spend the money on, say, a Little Wil magnetic antenna? What I'm getting at is, is the performance of a handheld determined by the antenna, or by the radio itself? Will one handheld perform significantly better than another with the same antenna, or are they all more or less the same? Thanks a lot for any help!!! (y)

IMO, all the handhelds are going to work about the same. Your best bet is to buy a better antenna and make sure you keep the handheld powered by something other than it's own battery. When the battery gets low, it is going to decrease the output of the radio. I would also buy a better antenna than the Lil Wil...try a Wilson 1000. It's a few bucks more, but you'll never be sorry.

There are two things to consider, how the thing will 'talk' and how it 'listens'. If the power output is reasonably close, they all 'talk' about the same. In a very general way, they will all 'hear' about the same too, but some are just easier to listen to than others. Some 'fit' you better than others. It's up to you to decide if one 'fits' you better than another.
In general, the bigger the antenna, the better the performance. To some ridiculous point, bigger is better with antennas. Lots of "if's" in that but generally true. Most antennas of approximately the same size will give you about the same performance, if they are 'done' correctly. Sounds like the limit there is what your friend will allow you to put on their car, what your wallet will stand, and how much that magnet will hold. I ain't even going to make a guess as to those!
Don't expect miracles with ANY hand-held radio! (Or get two of them and give one to me!) Manufacturers tend to supply the minimum that will 'work'. Lots of variations in that 'work' thingy, so typically, almost anything will be better, sort of (if it's 'bigger').
Crappy answer, huh? Sorry...
- 'Doc

none of the handhelds will work all that great

Antenna is always the most Important
So get as good an antenna as possible

radio is 2ed
instead of a handheld
why not a cb that you plug into cigarette lighter

Anyways good luck with it
nice your friend is letting you use one in their car

None of the handhelds will work that great using their antenna, but put that same handheld on a good external antenna (such as a Wilson 1000) and some of them will talk just fine.

I have a RatShack handheld, bought for the same purpose as you. I also bought the external mic/speaker, power cord, and antenna adapter...it works just like any other stock CB.

I have a Midland 75-822.

Forget it.

It was a mistake someone made to try and save money in a truck.

If you want to use it for short range use (5 mile), it'll work.

Otherwise get a good magmount and a Uniden 68 or other such inexpensive radio with a cig lighter plug.

You might find a 68 or Cobra 25 cheap on ebay. I can't be sure, but I think the TA truck stops have them for like 50$ for a short time. MAybe Pilot.

I use a GE HELP and a MIDLAND 75-822 with a LIL WIL antenna and they both work fine! The old GE HELP RADIO Model 3-5900 is the better model of the HELP RADIOS IMO, better than the Midland!! I had to make a new antenna wire for the GE to get a good match with the LIL WIL and it needed to be nine feet long made from the same type wire that is on the telescoping antenna that comes with the radio I got the wire at radio shack and it had the right connecter that plugs into the radio on it I think it was a speaker extension cable the other end will need to be solderd to a coax connecter. (A little improvising will be needed here!)(y)

The main thing would be to get a good external antenna. I think the point that is getting missed is the fact it is a temporary install...a hand held is still better than no cb at all. I agree with 74, if this was a permanent or slip-seater install, then a regular chassis radio would be the better choice.

FWIW, my ratshack dead keys at 4 watts and swings to 12 watts using a ratshack meter...on that same meter, my peaked/tuned 76XL dead keys 6 watts and swings to 24 watts (so you gain an S-unit with the 76). I don't think the hand held is doing too bad...that's hooked to a roof-mounted Wilson 5000 with a 1:1 SWR.

I have lots of miles on that hand held, it served me well when I was jumping from car, to van, to truck. I had a Wilson 1000, swr meter, the combination mic/speaker, and power cord all as a kit. I could install and swr the setup in about 5 minutes...it worked fine for what it was.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio