• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nice Custom Dak

For that kind of money I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole!! Somebody's bright idea. At that price though I would just have a good 8 pill built and use a kenwood 480HX to drive it with. And still have enough for some supplies as well. And still have money left over. Radio (kenwood 480hx), is 1099 new, amp is gonna run 1400 or so for a good 8 pill base amp. So for 2500 i can have a brand new setup for less than that one and know it will blow the doors off that one. But hey some people like pretty knobs and lights and painted cases. I've learned that 99.9% of that crap being sold like the item posted are usually someone's homebrew BS. All that was done was an export radio with no SSB as its a magnum s3 and not an s9, and an base amp were put together. But like I said, some like lights and such, I've learned enough to buy new and get an HF radio unless I am talking AM only then it's an old cobra 29. Other than that HF radios are the way to go and there are some good deals out there right now. For $1100 you can get a 200 watt kenwood 480HX. And a brand new base xforce amp for about 1400-1500 with added bias and shipping. Still under the 3k mark. JMHO.

My intention is not to burst your bubble, DJ; but a DAK radio is one of the worst POS ever made.
The fact that someone is trying to get out from underneath it at that price just means he was duped and now needs to get out of it and pass the misery along. Sincerely, I would steer clear. There is absolutely nothing about that radio that is worthwhile. You would be FAR better off with a nice rebuilt Cobra 2000 GTL. Just the facts . . .

Last edited:
It's still not worth the money. Think of what you buy all of this new for minus the painted case and pretty knobs and display and i would venture to say that even new the radio and that base amp won't cost that much. A magnum s3 if new $250, and we will say 1500 or so for amp. For $1750 for new and not home built. But like I said, some people are drawn to the allure of things like this. Hope that you aren't one of them. It's a cool item if that is exactly what you want I suppose, but not for the money he is asking, not even close. 2 x8 or not. But hey, I'm sure someone will buy it eventually. There's a sucker born everyday.

Reactions: Robb
I agree 222DBFL

For AM hard to beat an old school cobra 29 if it is aligned and set up correctly.

Great receive and a NB and ANL that actually works and not just a switch for decorations.

SSB a good HF rig.

Forget the 2x8 and invest in tower and yagi, you will have enough left to purchase a TS solid state amp DX350 for AM mode to cut through the hash and trash.

ON SSB the HF rig with 100 watts going to a decent yagi is all you will ever need.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I agree with Robb that it seems like the guy is trying to get out from under that "thing." It's kinda like putting a Lexus nameplate on a Yugo. Besides, it's missing things like a remote control and a roger beep. :whistle:

Reactions: wavrider
Here ya go DJ...Even you could probably afford this DAK...$3.97 at Walmart!
k2-_89f62f48-52f1-4f7b-b538-8360d2f061f7.v1.jpg

Reactions: Stellasstillarat
I own a mint dak lX. JUNK! JUNK! JUNK!
I was concidering putting another chassis in there with a 4 x 1446 Palomar / boomer /shooting star 500"s with a mobile ssb chassis (148 gtl or the like). Imo it will receive and transmittt as well or close to what the person put into that dak shell.

Why turn a nicely working compact ssb rig and an ok operating (as far as 11 meter amps of that time period go) straight 4x1446 nothing to write home about, but works nicely into a rig that's gonna take up as much space as a DNA phantom?

I've always said items are worth what someone's willing to pay.

Wheather the reasons sentimental or just something one always wanted but couldn't afford until now.

I draw the line on this one!

That rig is either the creators wet dream or nightmare.

Good luck finding someone who's willing to pay $2000 for your dream.

The chassis and amp put into that dak would perform the same without the dak and it's 28 cover screws.

so why someone would basically ruin two nice peices of equipment to put into a dak case is beyond me.

I've always said dak put all those cover screws on that rig because they never wanted anyone to see what was really inside.

Granted this is no longer a dak except the outer case, but I still have to ask, why?

Many are gonna throw out what they'd get for less, and whatever that might be will most likely run circles around that dak in name/outer csse only.

I'd get a yaesu 101 series and the matching 2100 (in minty condition) for about half the asking price of that Frankenstein.

The only thing that vexes me is that it isn't being sold by the infamous eBay seller superhawk.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.