• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NiMH Question

Singularity35

DU7DVE
Jan 16, 2014
Small City, Philippines
I bought a Yaesu FNB-V94 battery pack for a backup for my FT270. How many times do I have to cycle it to get normal performance? I have cycled it 5 times and the charge time is still 1 hour to full when it should be taking over 3 hours with the supplied fast charger.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a Yaesu FNB-V94 battery pack for a backup for my FT270. How many times do I have to cycle it to get normal performance?
Thanks in advance.
Most NiMh require to be charge 3 times in order to get to their normal working state.

Problem with some battery packs is; there could be one battery that may be faulty and not be producing the same output as the others or not charging up properly.

I am a big fan of these battery's and currently have over 135 on hand right now. But all my battery's are charged individually, then I can check each one with my battery checker.

Edit: one more thing, the slower the charge on NiMn the better preformance the battery will have over the life of the battery.
Most battery charger's will charge these battery's to fast and that will "cook" the battery - which is not good!

Last edited:
Who says it needs cycled?

The documentation that came with the battery. I also had to cycle the battery that came with the unit a few times(3 times) to get good performance. Before I cycled it, it was p*** poor.

Most NiMh require to be charge 3 times in order to get to their normal working state.

Problem with some battery packs is; there could be one battery that may faulty and not be producing the same output as the others or not charging up properly.

I am a big fan of these battery's and currently have over 135 on hand right now. But all my battery's are charged individually, then I can check each one with my battery checker.

Edit: one more thing, the slower the charge on NiMn the better preformance the battery will have over the life of the battery.
Most battery charger's will charge these battery's to fast and that will "cook" the battery - which is not good!

I do prefer LI-ion's over NiMH for the convenience of charging. I've cycled this one around 5 times from the time I got it, it's still not up to snuff. I'm concerned that there's something wrong with it.

Slow the charge to as low as amps as possible, basically trickle charge it if possibe. Why not try to find a lipo battery that is of the same milliamp and voltage?? Much better performance and last longer as well. Just asking, so please don't flame me here guys as I am not familiar with the radio but playing work electric rc for a while, I will say the battery technology has made leaps and bounds and good lipo packs can be bought for less than nimh batts do in most cases these days. And the performance is unreal. The amps that the small lipo packs can produce are insane. Anyway just asking have a great evening and god bless.

Any NiMH battery should exhibit quite good performance even with it's first charge and get better after only a few charge/discharge cycles. At least that has been my experience with them. LiPO batteries are indeed a lot batter with more power packed into the same size pack if you can get them for a specific device.

Any NiMH battery should exhibit quite good performance even with it's first charge and get better after only a few charge/discharge cycles. At least that has been my experience with them. LiPO batteries are indeed a lot batter with more power packed into the same size pack if you can get them for a specific device.

I can't find any li-ion or lipo batts for the FT270.

Could the poor initial performance be because of long storage?

So I got a new battery from the dealer except that it's only the FNB-83(1400mah) instead of the FNB-V94(1800Mah). Dealer says that the first battery he sent me(1800Mah) is fine except that because I have a rapid charger, it can't handle the higher capacity batt. Does that sound right? I always thought that it was the higher capacity batteries that could take rapid charging better than lower capacity ones.

BTW, new batt works fine. :)

It's the cells that determines the charge rate and very few companies tell you exactly the cells used in their battery packs.

And never put a lipo in any device that is not set to run one ..While lipo are damn good batteries if you over draw one it bursts into 2000 degree flames ..If it comes into contact with oxygen ...it bursts into flames..If not charged with the correct lipo charger...you guessed it...it bursts into flames..I use these on my rc that requires 750 amps continuous draw and light weight ..for a radio...no ..and again these rc are setup with lipo cutoffs and all charging is done outside in lipo charging bags .

It's easy to replace cells in battery packs ..I build alot of my own ..and 75$ battery pack quickly turns into a 10$ battery pack .

And like already stated nimh batteries should really be slow charged as often as possible for longer usage and shelf life

Lipo battery can explode just like an nimh can if not handled properly. I have seen nimh packs that were pushed over there limit and the tabs be melted and the cells swollen. If lipos are use correctly there is no issue with them, if they were that dangerous I don't think they would be used in the majority if not all cell phones. Yes, don't use a lipo with an nimh charger!!! Use a lipo charger, and as for charging batts, the lower the amps that the battery is charged at is usually better for the life of the battery, and like said, the charger doesn't determine how many amps or miiliamps it puts back into the battery, it's what the battery will take to reach full charge. I don't care if it's charged at 1amp or .1amp, it will charge the same amount, it will take longer at .1 amps but it will end the same. I have played with many high powered brushless rc car systems and have seen some batts capable of 400-500amps, the technology is booming right now. And the batts are getting smaller. But like I said, lipos are safe as long as they are used properly. You can't over discharge them, this is a big NO NO. You Can purchase battery cell monitors from venom rc or from the many people on flea bay, this will tell you the voltage of each cell and also you can set an alarm so that when the voltage of a cell reaches it's limit a buzzer alarm goes off. If you do decide to get the lipo listed above, don't forget to get a lipo charger as well. Charge the battery at 2.2 amps or less. No more than 2.2amps though IMO. Hope this helps. God bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.