• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No explosions yet ...

kopcicle

Feb 17, 2016
NCL-2000

Attachments

• Message_1500149687503.jpg
    Message_1500149687503.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 157

That one is a good candidate to build-in a 'soft key' circuit.

The relays run from 12 Volts AC. No big deal for radios that key the external amplifier with a relay, but newer radios will suffer severe damage if you try to key this thing with a normal keying cable to the radio.

Sure did make a mess of the last Yaesu FT-757 I saw hooked up this way.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Well aware of the drive limitations with or with out the swamped grid input. Currently have it configured for high drive and keyed directly from a TS-830S . I have used 8072's for testing with 10 watts drive (CW) , This is the second one I've had across the bench, near 22 years apart . Yes the RCA were built on a different process than the Burle and Eimac never quite figured it out .For anyone that cares look up Carl , KM1H . He was part of the design and engineering team at National and is still active and ornery as ever :)

Attachments

• NCL2K_Sch.jpg
    NCL2K_Sch.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
Very cool redraw of the diagram. Thanks for posting that. Only found one error so far. The jack marked "bias test" is the ALC output. The jack directly below that one is not labeled. That one is the bias-test socket.

Hard to believe that a designer of an amplifier I drooled over in high school is still around. I have one here that was going to get converted to Svetlana "4CX400" tubes. Can't remember the soviet military designation of that one right now. GS-36b, maybe? Anode's rated at 400 Watts, and almost the same diameter anode ring. Moving the tube sockets farther apart to accommodate a tube with a larger-diameter anode ring just looks like it's not doable. Kinda like the cobbler's shoes. A project that's repeatedly put aside to do paying jobs.

The HV-transformer primary relay has a 12-Volt AC coil, too. Got in the habit of using a 24-Volt DC 3PDT relay to replace it, with a full-wave voltage doubler circuit to power it. Tricky part was to make the filter caps small enough that it will drop fast enough if the overload relay trips it.

Should be a perfect match for the TS-830.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.