• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not interested in the gate but Cobra 2000 is nicely done.

Well it is so heavily modified to not have any collector value as a Cobra 2000 in name only at this point.

I am not a collector so that is no skin off my back.

You can make a Cobra 148GTL, Uniden Grant XL or LT or a Uniden Washington Base sound the same, perform the same for a fraction of the cost. If you are talking about modifing it then with VDFO and Freq. counter you would be stupid to damage a good survivor CObra 2000 and the work to restore and mod a basket case is not that wise either.

I bet 2/3's of the "Cobra 2000's" on air are Cobra 148GTL's and the like.

If it sounds good and walks the dog that is all that matter's!

Reactions: unit_399
I will go one step farther and say that video gates with the gear in the video are pretty boy look at me and like me gates and video's and turn me off. I talk on the radio to talk on the radio not to make a video of my gear. That sort of nonsense is a turn off to me.

It is like the guy with $10,000 in paint and interior and $4000 in wheels and tires but he has a inline 6 Jaguar engine with a blown head gasket and leaking valve cover that over heats any time you drive it. It just sends the wrong message. 2 Way radio is a hoby of talking and listening not seeing so much.

Perhaps it isn't meant for people hearing it but it's the owners pleasure at looking at it while using it. Must be something in the water, yall seem fairly judgemental of some poor dude that just wanted something pretty to look at!

gates and video's and turn me off
Me too ! In fact up here in Canada "videogating" is highly illegal as it is making a recording of somebody's voice without their permission and publishing it on the internet !
The law here sees it the exact same way as taking someone's photo and using that on the internet or publishing it without their explicit permission.
I would have thought U.S. law around this was similar, so I'm not really sure how people are getting away with "videogating" without being sued by folks who's radio transmissions have been intercepted, illegally recorded, and put up on the internet without their permission !
So take note videogaters....... If you have a contact with me DON'T record it !

A quick search finds this:​

Can you record conversations in Canada?​

Canada follows the one-party consent rule according to section 184 of the criminal code. Therefore, in Canada, recording private conversations is legal provided one of the participants consents to the recording.

Source

I looked it up because I often see content on YouTube from Canada and did not understand how they continue if it is indeed against Canada in law.
YouTube is rather strict about Illegal content on there platform.

Jeff

Last edited:
The key line is "consents to the recording". In most cases the "videogate" is being recorded and posted to YouTube without the consent of the person being recorded. IF there is a preceding conversation on air where the videogater asks and then receives permission from the person they are in contact with, then yes, it is legal.
To be fair, I have occasionally heard such a conversation, but in the majority of cases that I'm hearing live on the radio the person being recorded is only informed after the fact, or not at all, either of which makes the recording illegal.
YouTube is rather strict about Illegal content on there platform
YouTube is very strict about some content but lets other equally illegal content remain on their site for years. So their content moderation appears to be somewhat agenda-driven.

The key line is "consents to the recording". In most cases the "videogate" is being recorded and posted to YouTube without the consent of the person being recorded.
The above link says
Therefore, in Canada, recording private conversations is legal provided one of the participants consents to the recording.
Not both but one.
If the party recording consents it appears to be legal under that statute.
Where is Captain Kilowatt when you need him lol.

Jeff

Sigh. Even the title says this was never about the video gate. I don't care for them any more than most of you.
It was purely posted for the appearance of the radio. I didn't even watch the gate myself past a few seconds watching the meters on the radio dance.tumblr_niudaabSsQ1trt85uo1_400-17173335.gif

recording consents it appears to be legal under that statute.
I'm told that the statute you are quoting from only applies to in person conversations, not to those being carried by electronic means.
So if for example I am a newspaper reporter and I walk up to two people engaged in conversation on the street and I ask to record them, then only one of them has to consent. Electronic conversations are covered under a different act, but I hate all this legal shit, so I'm not about to try and figure out which one LOL!

Anyways, for me this isn't just about the legal angle, it's also about respect for my conversations with others on the radio. I'm not out there on the airwaves DXing or ragchewing or whatever so people can record my conversation without my knowledge and post it online. That's rude & disrespectful no matter how you look at it, and it has become one aspect of this hobby that I'm really pizzed about, as you can probably tell. This hobby is supposed to be about communicating on the CB radio, there isn't supposed to be a video element to it (I'm only talking about "videogating" here) and our society is full to the brim with video crap, so stay out of my hobby g'damit!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.