• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NVIS, Near Vertical Incidence Skywave

-=PEAKABOO=-

Oct 29, 2001
Has anyone here attempted to use a NVIS, (Near Vertical Incidence Skywave) antenna on 10 or 11 meters? If so what was it? A dipole close to the ground? How close? how well and often did it work? Really interested in trying this and I am going to but was just curious.

Hmmmmm.......never thought about NVIS on 10-11m. It seems to work better on the lower freqs around 40m and lower but I suppose it would work on 10-11m. I have had several antenna that were definitely NVIS design but that was more to do with lack of high supports than by design. :sad:

I have read it will work above 10 MHz but not as efficiently. I have heard of a lot of people using it with good success on 20 meters. I was just curious if anyone has knowledge of it or has tried it around 10 meters.

I think there's some misconceptions about the NVIS thingy. Can't speak from experience with all of them, but I certainly can with horizontal loops and dipoles not very high off the ground. It's really odd about those two 'NVIS' antennas, I've worked WAS several times on both of them. Hawaii wasn't that difficult at all (RI was). The idea that the vast majority of signal is "straight up" is just so much BS. There's still quite a bit of signal on the lower than 90 degree directions. Of course there isn't gobs of low angle stuff, but you can say that about almost any antenna under the right/wrong circumstances. 'NVIS' is a very convenient label, and one that can be miss-applied quite easily.
- 'Doc

I respect your knowledge, you three have probably forgotten 10x the knowledge that I'll ever retain so I maybe totally of base here.

I'm sure you WAS with a NVIS antenna but were all the contacts by NVIS propagation?I'm sure some were but I think others were via normal propagation off a lobe of a lower angle.

Last edited:
I think there's some misconceptions about the NVIS thingy. Can't speak from experience with all of them, but I certainly can with horizontal loops and dipoles not very high off the ground. It's really odd about those two 'NVIS' antennas, I've worked WAS several times on both of them. Hawaii wasn't that difficult at all (RI was). The idea that the vast majority of signal is "straight up" is just so much BS. There's still quite a bit of signal on the lower than 90 degree directions. Of course there isn't gobs of low angle stuff, but you can say that about almost any antenna under the right/wrong circumstances. 'NVIS' is a very convenient label, and one that can be miss-applied quite easily.
- 'Doc

pretty close to my thinking too. a LOT of us often run (somewhat)NVIS antennas due to lack of height:cry:.

i do run a deliberate NVIS on 20. it works fine for my use, 600 ish miles radius, reliable contacts.
i DONT even try to use it for DX.
in fact, sometimes i use it to NOT hear the low angle DX type stuff.:D

Reactions: 1 person
I built a nvis diopole " I'll see if I can find the design" I was trying to get better results within 300 miles on 75. My 75 meter loop at 25' did much better. even as close as 30 miles the loop did better. I tuned it up on 10 using the same 30 mile contact and the loop was still stronger. That was the only contact I tried on ten. Go ahead and build it and let us know what happens. its just wire:D

I built a nvis diopole " I'll see if I can find the design" I was trying to get better results within 300 miles on 75. My 75 meter loop at 25' did much better. even as close as 30 miles the loop did better. I tuned it up on 10 using the same 30 mile contact and the loop was still stronger. That was the only contact I tried on ten. Go ahead and build it and let us know what happens. its just wire:D

I know its just wire and the whole building it is fun in itself but I hate absolute failure:D

Nothing you try is ever an absolute failure as long as you learn something from the experience. Remember, the only dumb question is the one never asked.

PR

I've looked everywhere but can't find a design for a practical mobile antenna for NVIS. The military style of tied down whip might work but there must be a better design.

The tied down whip is exactly for that very purpose. HiQ Antennas has some specific purpose mobile NVIS antennas that they sell to the military that you can also purchase. They're not cheap.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.