• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Odd VX-8DR Interference Issue

AmateurHour

Feb 10, 2012
Basically Washington, DC
Have been Google searching and reading a number of different forums on this with no luck, so I thought that I would flag it for help.

My VX-8DR is typically set dualwatch with closest repeater on VFO A and APRS on the sub. During the March 2012 solar flare, I was picking up some fairly distant signals (~600 miles) on VFO A. Nothing super odd about getting a distant VHF ham signal with those conditions, except that I picked it up on Wide FM mode.

Since then, that frequency 147.315 constantly picks up S5 to S6 interference:
- Attenuation function does not significantly reduce it
- Can hear the repeater traffic through it
- Tone squelch does block it out (though green light still remains lit
- My IC-91A does not pick up the signal
- 147.310 to 147.330 all are impacted. Regardless of time of day or location.
- Maldol MH-209, MH-510 and Diamond RH77 pick up the same noise. It only breaks the squelch on the MH-209

Could it be the GPS? When I use the 209 and unplug the GPS, the signal goes away completely.

Who gets to be the first to point out the very basic mistakes that I am making?

That said, HT working beautifully. APRS is great. Check out my last beacon:
Google Maps APRS

Last edited:

I recall seeing some information about the GPS receiver causing the effect you are describing under certain circumstances. I believe the condition was nullified when you moved the GPS to the hand mic, although I can't remember for sure. Are you able to try this and confirm?

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio