• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OK, I am just gonna ask the dumb questions

racetra

Jul 7, 2011
Hey all,
I got my new rig all setup
Galaxy94
TS DX500
K40 BC Max antennas

I am trying to make contacts but have had no luck.
How do I go to DX land or skip around the country.....What am I missing?

The other thing I am wondering is, How does someone in Chicago bleed over a 10 channel range on my radio on AM in Nevada.

I really want to make contacts out there but it seems like DX land is a lot like golf, No one is giving up tips and tricks...hehehe.

I was in Nevada and was searchin around LSB and found a cat talkin about 10-20 miles from me. He was perfectly clear. He couldnt hear me....I think. I tried the amp, no amp, SSB on the amp.

Help me Mr. Wizzard

Hey all,
I got my new rig all setup
Galaxy94
TS DX500
K40 BC Max antennas

I am trying to make contacts but have had no luck.
How do I go to DX land or skip around the country.....What am I missing?
If all of your equipment has been set up correctly; then the only difference is location, conditions, and timing.

The other thing I am wondering is, How does someone in Chicago bleed over a 10 channel range on my radio on AM in Nevada.
You must be getting some skip if that is true.
The quick answer is that they cut out the AM Limiter (NOT cool to do), running some power amp, and having the right skip conditions to your location.
Location, location, location.

I really want to make contacts out there but it seems like DX land is a lot like golf, No one is giving up tips and tricks...hehehe.

I was in Nevada and was searchin around LSB and found a cat talkin about 10-20 miles from me. He was perfectly clear. He couldnt hear me....I think. I tried the amp, no amp, SSB on the amp.

Help me Mr. Wizzard
Find a mountain or a ridge and transmit from there. That can usually yield some fun results if skip conditions are in.

Time for this one to come home . . .

yup, keep trying, i just got back into cb's a few months ago and i had some garage sale cb's i hooked up just to mess with and talk with my kids, the radio i had in the house was a garage sale galaxy 959ssb and i figured id try to talk skip. i spent all day sat and nothing, then on sunday i got a reply from british columbia canada. he said he heard me but my radio was way off frequency, he adjusted to my radio and i finally got a contact. now i have some new radios that are on frequency and i have not had any issues talking skip every weekend with just a 12 watt ssb radio and 102" whip antenna ,

is your galaxy radio new or used,, mine was used and i didnt know the history of it and it was way off freq, thats why i wasnt getting any replies.

Nobody "goes" to Dxland, they wait for Dxland to come to them. Dx land usually occurs during working hours. If you have a job then when you get back there could be nothing on the radio.
>> The other thing I am wondering is, How does someone in Chicago
>> bleed over a 10 channel range on my radio on AM in Nevada.
I have bled over a 40 channel range to a radio 5 miles away by being on a hilltop with a stock 4 watt radio. This was perfectly ordinary in line of sight operation and was probably due to the receiving cb being cheaply built. If a radio bleeds over 10 channels between nevada and chicago the the cb has most likely been modified to transmit on 10 channels simultaneously.
>>He couldnt hear me....I think.
It is not unusual that someone cannot hear you especially if they are located in an area where there are many electric devices whose interference would cover up weak signals. Also it is very common for operators to only talk to their friends and nobody else.

It is just conditions. I tried and tried today to make DX contacts. All I have is a Connex 3300HP, and NO luck at all today. I am in South Texas and I could hear the west coast coming in today just a bit for just a while. No luck making contact at all.

But just the other day I was in my bosses truck with a a stock Cobra 29 and some cheap antennas and made contacts to Cleveland,OH., North Carolina and Florida.

I'm not sure how it is for other place, but when I hardly get any skip from channel 6, i know it's going to be tough to make contacts.

I have just now got back into trying the DX thing, I'm looking at getting a ssb radio and seeing if it will be easier for me to make contacts

I know a few years ago I would talk to the east coast and a few times to the west coast with my Connex 3300 (with just 35 watts), a good antenna and a big mouth. Just keep trying, some days its just easier to make contact then others.

Hey there Mr.Wizzard..

Not to Worry..
It takes a little time to figure it out.
( is not too hard though )

If your radio is on frequency and working well.
if your antenna and coax is in good order.

Then you Will Without Doubt get Skip.

However it is a waiting game.
To get Past the waiting game..

Like another said already..
Find a Mountain Top.

Another said most skip is typically during working hours.
I Do not know about that...
I Do Skip early night to early AM hours.

Once you catch skip..it is fun ( and Additive )
I have spoken all over the planet except for antartica.
All thanks to easy skip ( Just like many others )

I'm not sure how it is for other place, but when I hardly get any skip from channel 6, i know it's going to be tough to make contacts.

That's exactly what I do, If 6 is dead, everything else will be too in my area. Today was DEAD. Made good contact with 2042 in Nova Scotia for quite some time but 2042 was the ONLY one on LSB38 for me.

However, yesterday LSB 38 was good for me from east coast to NW coast.

Patience is golden in DX land......

So when I hear the out of state folks blasting my standard AM truck channels, most likey that they have cut out the AM limiter? Am I gonna get skip on AM or only USB/LSB?

I know these are total newby questions but I sure do appreciate the info.

You can get skip on any mode though it's easiest on USB/LSB. There are any number of reasons for transmitting on more than one channel such as an overdriven or badly designed amp or impedance mismatch on the microphone. It's not guaranteed that a cut am limiter will cause splatter but it depends on the radio operator and how he runs the radio.

Well, hopefully you had some better luck out there today. I was able to make contact to 507 in New Hampshire and 747 in New Jersey. That's about a 2000 mile trip from south Texas with just my connex 3300 and a wilson fiberglass antenna. But that was it. I heard a couple of stations from the Sacramento,Ca. coming in, but had no luck getting them to call my name. I'm sure with your setup you will be talking coast to coast when the conditions are right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.