• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old cowboy needs some help

1 Amp

Nov 16, 2013
Hi All

This old cowboy needs some help with some radio info. I live north of 49 about the center of BC. there is no ham club here yet . I am not a ham yet myself but time will tell. I did a bit of reading on the net and found that the Yaesu Ft 2900r is a OK unit but I read that there are also some FT 2900 r/e.What is the difference if any .well that's all I need help with for now ,as you can tell more Q/a to come thanks four input

On many radio model numbers, an "e" suffix indicates a model intended for export to Europe. Europe is in a different ITU region from you and I and most of the others here, and they (particularly member nations of CEPT) have different frequency/power/mode allocations than we do.

Reactions: 1 person
Indeed. Like Beetle said various radios are made with the same model number but with an "e" suffix indicating it is meant for the European market. in the case of a 2m radio that would limit it's coverage to 144-146 MHz with provisions for a 1750 Hz burst tone for repeater access which we do not use here. You don't have to worry about accidentally buying an "e" model as they are not offered for sale in North America. The manual is printed for both (or all models) in one book and the same booklet is shipped with the different models.

When I was doing my home work I seen it written as FT 2900 R/E So I had to ask .Thanks for your help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.