• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

old watt swr meters required an attachment for reading ssb power where to get one ?

wheelman918

Nov 22, 2014
i have an old radio shack meter thats been reworked and calibrated its small for a mobile is why i like it, but if i remember it took another small attachment to read ssb power? what was it and where to find?

Do you have a pic or model number? The only models I remember needed an adaptor was the three meter model and the digital one. Only the digi one reads peak for ssb. Of course this is coming from memory and I could be wrong.

Do you have a pic or model number? The only models I remember needed an adaptor was the three meter model and the digital one. Only the digi one reads peak for ssb. Of course this is coming from memory and I could be wrong.
a 21-534

i have an old radio shack meter thats been reworked and calibrated its small for a mobile is why i like it, but if i remember it took another small attachment to read ssb power? what was it and where to find?
Either whistle into the mic or say 'ahhhhhhhhh'.
The best way is to use a sample 1khz audio tone:
http://www.freesound.org/people/klangfabrik/sounds/28636/

There is no carrier to read in SSB mode like you would in AM mode, so all you can read are the peak modulated watts . . .

it has a pep setting but i think your right

All that pep setting on that meter does is add a capacitor across the sampling circuit so it charges to a higher value making the meter read a little higher. It is NOT true pep reading. Only meters that actually require a source of electrical power,other than to power a light, are true peak reading meters. I have one of those meters in a portable kit and also a couple true peak meters and there is a considerable difference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.