• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

On line log books

KD4UPL

Aug 5, 2012
I’m thinking maybe it’s time to get up to date and put all my HF contacts of the past 20 years on Log Book of the World or whatever other service I should be using. Are there others? Which one is the best? I’d just like to have everything organized and available for anyone I’ve worked to get it confirmed. I haven’t QSL’d any contacts in many years.
I have operated from 3 different homes (all within 50 miles of each other if it matters). I’ve also made some contacts while camping. How do these programs handle the location change or does it even matter?
Can anyone give me the very basic run down on how to do this?
Thanks,

Reactions: 1 person

I’m thinking maybe it’s time to get up to date and put all my HF contacts of the past 20 years on Log Book of the World or whatever other service I should be using. Are there others? Which one is the best? I’d just like to have everything organized and available for anyone I’ve worked to get it confirmed. I haven’t QSL’d any contacts in many years.
I have operated from 3 different homes (all within 50 miles of each other if it matters). I’ve also made some contacts while camping. How do these programs handle the location change or does it even matter?
Can anyone give me the very basic run down on how to do this?
Thanks,

I've been playing with QRZ and EQSL so far. No way to put in if you are mobile, or in another location. I just put that in the notes section. I'm always leery of keeping all my stuff on a web site just because of the problems I've seen in the past with crashing/getting hacked/running out of funds. But I'm finding it very difficult to put down all the info, especially when I'm driving down the highway at 70 mph! I'm really thinking of just using a good old fashioned hand written log book, and transferring the data to a web site for convenience and QSL's.

Just talked to DK3EE in Germany from my mobile in Texas on 10 meters. (y) Take a look at his setup on QRZ... wow!

Brett

I'm not too worried about loosing the data. I always use a paper log when I'm actually on the air. I just thought it would be nice to have some organization to it. Especially if it helps other hams to be able to confirm contacts with my. I did put a few contacts into the QRZ site once just to see how it works.
Does anyone have any experience with Log Book of the World?

Reactions: 1 person
I been using eqsl and qrz.com for many yrs,qrz.com since 95 or so...LOTW i gave up on after a half hour of bull crap...just a pain and always crashing,they need eqsl as ther I.T guys...

I use Eqsl, LOTW and QRZ but my main database is local on my computer and I sync with the on-line ones. I use CRQlog as the front end for the DB, I like it because I use Linux and its native for that. It compares closely to Ham Radio Deluxe with not only with the DB but it offers rig control as well.

Oh and I almost forgot the best part......its free!!!

It really in part depends on what you want the log to be used for.

If you are interested in awards like DXCC or WAS you will want to use LOTW.
Logs like QRZ seem pointless and I have read numerous online mentions from e-qsl users about fake QSO's being input by other users.

I didn't see any value with using e-qsl so didn't bother with that. I did sign up for LOTW.

For me LOTW setup was very easy. I installed the software and followed the specific steps to setup. I went ahead and uploaded my previous two years logs from HRD and upload new contacts after every contest or at least once a week.

As others have mentioned I noticed the slowness and delays with LOTW last year. Since then that seems to have been resolved. After a major contest you see a few hours delay in new logs being added to your account. No big deal to me as I understand that the LOTW database is grinding away adding new contacts.

I love seeing new confirmations roll into LOTW and saving money sending QSL's for DX contacts. For example I worked Lebanon yesterday and this morning I already have a confirmation in LOTW.

At this point about 47% of my QSO's over the last 4 years have been confirmed in LOTW. Of the DX countries I've worked about 80% were confirmed through LOTW.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.