• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

One of 'those' weeks'.

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Recent ice storms took down all my antennas. Put together a 'fan' dipole for a couple of bands as a temporary (till I feel like changing it) measure. First two bands, no problems, just the usual figure the length, cut it, solder it, hang it in the air, trim for resonance and go with it. Added a third band last week. Constant "it ain't working right" thingy! Resonant waaaay out of band (high). So, added a little on each end. Test it. Still high. Rats! Add some more, still high. Spent a day or two trying to figure out what the @#$$ was going on. Got fed up with hte whole thing and decided I was going to 'fix' it! Added some more length. Still high but coming down. Length was now about 8 feet longer than it ought to be. Had a 'brain-storm'. Remembered that I couldn't find the rosen core solder when I added the third band and the light dawned. Finally found the @#$ rosen core solder. Dropped the antenna, "Oh S***!", the third band's elements were loose. Oh man... Re-soldered, pulled it up, tested it, now resonant waaaay down below the band. Cut off a couple of feet. Still way down. Cut off some more, still way down but coming up, but the readings were 'odd'. What the @#$$'s going on? Took both ends loose, compared lengths. How the @#$$ did that side get three feet longer than the other? 'Scootched' the connection at the feed point over a couple of inches, but certainly not 3 feet! Evened the two sides, cut off another couple of feet, checked it. The illegitimate male off spring of my neighbor's dog is only off about 15 Khz now, that's close enough, hell with it.
Checked the yard stick I used to measure the wire, that had to be the problem. It wasn't, @#$. I don't care, it works now, that's all that matters. I can't believe I did that...
- 'Doc

(Now all I have to do is get the radio to 'talk' to the @#$ computer again. I love this electronics @#^%!)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.