• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ONLY need a HAM for emergencies/SHTF - thinking Wouxun now

JohnnyScience

Jun 10, 2011
I stopped out at our local HAM supply store today & handle a few things.

I really do like the Yaesu's the best & seem like they are the built the best.

But I'm not going to be any kind of serious HAM like most of you are. So I dont think spending $300-$400 on an HT makes sense for us.

The ONLY thing a few friends & maybe family members would get on to do is in case of an emergency or SHTF.

Now I realize we need to get on to figure out how everything works, thats fine.

But we arent going to be spending much time "chatting" on these bands like most HAMs do.

So I probably only need a dual band, the basic 2m/440 for weather & emergencies & being able to communicate during a bad situation.

I would also like whichever Wouxun has the best overall scanner for the most channels/frequencies/bands. Maybe even an AM/FM receiver.

The one thing I ask is that it is waterproof, are there any Wouxan's that are?

Suggestions?

look up KC2MMC..

He uses one that is water proof and swears by them ( got it for like $120 with programming cable )

I looked up that name and nothing was coming up?

What model # Wouxun is waterproof?

I was looking at the KG-UVD1P, I like the display screen and full keypad features.

Why bother with an amateur radio license?? Without the use of repeaters the direct range of a 2m or 440 HT is not very good. You can get the same results with CB radio (HF) FRS (UHF) or business band radios which are roughly the same frequencies as 2m/44o amateur radio.. That's like saying you want to get a pilots license and never actually fly an airplane unless it's an emergency situation. Makes no sense.

Amateur radio is a hobby first and emergency comms second.

In an all out SHTF situation and it's every man for himself you won't need a license anyway.

Why bother with an amateur radio license?? Without the use of repeaters the direct range of a 2m or 440 HT is not very good. You can get the same results with CB radio (HF) FRS (UHF) or business band radios which are roughly the same frequencies as 2m/44o amateur radio.. That's like saying you want to get a pilots license and never actually fly an airplane unless it's an emergency situation. Makes no sense.

Amateur radio is a hobby first and emergency comms second.

In an all out SHTF situation and it's every man for himself you won't need a license anyway.

Because I need more than a mile of communication which is all FRS seems to give.

Clearly I can do 30-75 miles with an HT & good repeaters.

I have ZERO interest in HAMs as a hobby. I have iPads, iPhones, a highly advanced computer, saltwater reef tanks, guns & edged weapons as my hobbies.

To me HAM technology is very old and boring.

BUT, I think it's a GREAT & very reliable form of communication when all of the other types go down, cell phones etc. during emergencies/SHTF.

Just because I dont plan on using HAM to talk to local HAMs like a big chat room every day doesnt mean I should steer clear of it.

Like I said, we will get on it enough to learn how to use the bands/frequencies etc in order to communicate, but honestly the radio will probably reside in our BOB 90% of the time. But we obviously need to get a license to even be able to practice & learn how to communicate during a time of need.

Now with that said, I dont think spending $400 on a Yaesu makes sense for my budget right now based on how much I'll actually use it (even though I want the Yaesu & think they're the best quality)

Which Wouxun is waterproof?

I came on here asking for helpful information, just because my goals arent your's doesnt mean I'm trying to disrespect anyone or have the same done to me by telling me to shove off more or less.

If you only want it for use in a real emergency, I would arm yourself with a bit more info.

Which band has the most repeaters within range of you?

Which band do the local emergency services organizations use for their emergency communications?

What else do you think the radio needs to be able to do to help you in such a situation? Monitor weather channels? Monitor air traffic? Marine traffic? Poliec/fire?

From what you're saying, you don't need a fancy full-featured radio, you just need an HT that can work repeaters. This is a pretty simple requirement, and it doesn't mean you can't have a Yaesu or pretty much any other brand you want in the price range you seem interested in.

Yaesu and other makes turn out fine single band HTs that don't cost much and are built just as well as their fancier radios.

As an example, Yaesu make one called the FT250 for 2m that has all the toys you will need to work any repeater, which will only run you about $115 brand new.

There are a lot of radios out there that will do everything I mentioned above, and they don't need to be even close to new to do it.

However, if you're just going to stick it in a drawer and not use it unless you have to, I would point out that you don't need a brand new radio. Features and functions of the radio are pretty much noise at this point, you would have to get one pretty old to have it lack the features required to work a repeater. I'm going to just throw a number out here, but I think you would have to go back at least 20 years to find a Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood/Alinco HT that won't be able to do tone squelch out of the box.

The most important thing is can you find the batteries and such to keep the radio going. If you can't get it powered up, its useless.

If your goals are to cover yourself in an emergency, I would put more thought into power sources and useful accessories. Get a nicely priced used radio or an inexpensive new one and make sure you can augment it with stuff that will keep it going.

1. make sure you have a way to charge it with the power out (car charger, solar panel, etc). in fact, look for one that can run off the car charger.
2. make sure you have an alternative to the rechargeable battery pack in the case the batteries sit too long and die or you just can't charge them for some reason(ie, a AA battery pack).
3. get extra batteries
4. get a mag-mount antenna and whatever is needed to connect it to the HT. A "real" antenna (as opposed to the one on the radio) will extend the range tremendously.
5. get an external mic. even when not using an external antenna, not having to hold the HT to your mouth to talk lets you hold it in whatever orientation gets it the best signal.
6. print out and regularly check for currency all the repeaters and frequencies you count on being able to use, keep this information with the radio and its accessories.
7. lastly, get a nice bag or case to keep all this stuff in so you have it all together when you need it.

To reiterate, find a decent radio and make sure you have all the stuff to keep it useful. Don't worry too much about the fancy toys.

If you only want it for use in a real emergency, I would arm yourself with a bit more info.

Which band has the most repeaters within range of you?

Which band do the local emergency services organizations use for their emergency communications?

What else do you think the radio needs to be able to do to help you in such a situation? Monitor weather channels? Monitor air traffic? Marine traffic? Poliec/fire?

From what you're saying, you don't need a fancy full-featured radio, you just need an HT that can work repeaters. This is a pretty simple requirement, and it doesn't mean you can't have a Yaesu or pretty much any other brand you want in the price range you seem interested in.

Yaesu and other makes turn out fine single band HTs that don't cost much and are built just as well as their fancier radios.

As an example, Yaesu make one called the FT250 for 2m that has all the toys you will need to work any repeater, which will only run you about $115 brand new.

There are a lot of radios out there that will do everything I mentioned above, and they don't need to be even close to new to do it.

However, if you're just going to stick it in a drawer and not use it unless you have to, I would point out that you don't need a brand new radio. Features and functions of the radio are pretty much noise at this point, you would have to get one pretty old to have it lack the features required to work a repeater. I'm going to just throw a number out here, but I think you would have to go back at least 20 years to find a Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood/Alinco HT that won't be able to do tone squelch out of the box.

The most important thing is can you find the batteries and such to keep the radio going. If you can't get it powered up, its useless.

If your goals are to cover yourself in an emergency, I would put more thought into power sources and useful accessories. Get a nicely priced used radio or an inexpensive new one and make sure you can augment it with stuff that will keep it going.

1. make sure you have a way to charge it with the power out (car charger, solar panel, etc). in fact, look for one that can run off the car charger.
2. make sure you have an alternative to the rechargeable battery pack in the case the batteries sit too long and die or you just can't charge them for some reason(ie, a AA battery pack).
3. get extra batteries
4. get a mag-mount antenna and whatever is needed to connect it to the HT. A "real" antenna (as opposed to the one on the radio) will extend the range tremendously.
5. get an external mic. even when not using an external antenna, not having to hold the HT to your mouth to talk lets you hold it in whatever orientation gets it the best signal.
6. print out and regularly check for currency all the repeaters and frequencies you count on being able to use, keep this information with the radio and its accessories.
7. lastly, get a nice bag or case to keep all this stuff in so you have it all together when you need it.

To reiterate, find a decent radio and make sure you have all the stuff to keep it useful. Don't worry too much about the fancy toys.

yep,if it hits the fan,cell phones and repeaters will be down,i know im in the tornado belt.And no power no repeaters or cell phones.Get a good radio nand battery pack and a genarator and some gasoline...i live in Missouri,tornado alley.73s

To my knowledge none of the Wouxuns are water proof. Got a plastic bag?? If you do become involved in an emergency I think I would advise you not to barge-in to any of the emergency service frequencies without invitation, especially without a license. I think I would also advise getting the who/what/where/when information about those emergency services BEFORE they are activated. Your local EOC (if there is one) should be able to clue you in on that.
- 'Doc

Because I need more than a mile of communication which is all FRS seems to give.

Clearly I can do 30-75 miles with an HT & good repeaters.

I have ZERO interest in HAMs as a hobby. I have iPads, iPhones, a highly advanced computer, saltwater reef tanks, guns & edged weapons as my hobbies.

To me HAM technology is very old and boring.

BUT, I think it's a GREAT & very reliable form of communication when all of the other types go down, cell phones etc. during emergencies/SHTF.

Just because I dont plan on using HAM to talk to local HAMs like a big chat room every day doesnt mean I should steer clear of it.

Like I said, we will get on it enough to learn how to use the bands/frequencies etc in order to communicate, but honestly the radio will probably reside in our BOB 90% of the time. But we obviously need to get a license to even be able to practice & learn how to communicate during a time of need.

Now with that said, I dont think spending $400 on a Yaesu makes sense for my budget right now based on how much I'll actually use it (even though I want the Yaesu & think they're the best quality)

Which Wouxun is waterproof?

I came on here asking for helpful information, just because my goals arent your's doesnt mean I'm trying to disrespect anyone or have the same done to me by telling me to shove off more or less.

Ever hear of a little old storm called Katrina? Communications were screwed big time after that INCLUDING ham repeaters. Ham repeaters are just as vulnerable as any other communications service and thinking an HT and a repeater will serve you when the SHTF is naive. A higher powered mobile radio and good directional antenna will cover 20-30 miles simplex fairly easy and HF on 40m will serve an area of out to a couple hundred miles pretty much 24/7.I have been a ham for almost 25 years and I know enough NOT to rely on an HT and a repeater for emergency comms when the SHTF.

Buy a cheap Wouxun and a waterproof radio bag.

I am a survival poacher. I only stock weapons and ammo. I will procure the rest of what I need by overwhelming firepower.

Cheaper that way...

Perhaps cheeper..

Just careful who you try to do that to..
Myself..

I have the radios and the weapons ..

Most Important and useful weapon do not forget is the mind..
Use it well

Why don't you get a couple Yaesu FT270Rs and call it a day? VHF does better over longer distances anyways.

Ok so now you're suggesting to go with just a single band of 2m?

Is that the most popular with the most info during emergencies/SHTF?

And easiest for a few of us to communicate and group together?

You don't think we should have at least a dual band with 2m & 440?

Why not?

I am looking for a radio that will scan & listen all local/national emergencies along with weather etc.

The FT 270 is a full Rx scanner isn't it?

That is another thing I think is important.

AM/FM would be nice. But I don't think this has either does it?

I do like how the FT-270 can at least get wet and not be ruined.

And for the guy talking about Katrina and repeaters down - you may be right, but local HAMs really pulled through and helped so much by doing what they do. So even some were down, HAM was still the only way to really communicate.

Lol @ Duster

Just remember that when the SHTF if there are any repeaters left on the air they will be jammed with emergency traffic and you and your group will have little to no chance of communicating with each other as emergency comms will take priority over ALL other comms and you asking if someone else in your group is OK is NOT considered emergency comms. It is considered health and wealthfare comms.

Speaking from experience from the Swiss Air flight 111 crash here when there was no cell service due to location and only one ham repeater and it was pressed into emergency service, I can attest to the fact that HF on 40m was the primary choice for local/regional communications other than very short range simplex on VHF.You may do what you please however just be aware of the extreme limitations of what you propose to do and why you want to do it.

Just remember that when the SHTF if there are any repeaters left on the air they will be jammed with emergency traffic and you and your group will have little to no chance of communicating with each other as emergency comms will take priority over ALL other comms and you asking if someone else in your group is OK is NOT considered emergency comms. It is considered health and wealthfare comms.

Yep, I think you'd have a better chance of communicating with your friends/family by constructing a network consisting of soup cans and fishing line...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.