• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Oof! Loose SO-239 center connector on the Galaxy radio...

doffo

Oct 14, 2012
Hello,

Friendly reminder to make sure your antenna connectors are clean at the radio and not loose. I should of caught onto it sooner, but I noticed something was wrong when my amp was randomly clicking while I was transmitting on SSB.. I knew to stop and check connections. Sure enough, the coax barely had any bite when putting the cable into the antenna jack. Cleaned the middle with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol carefully, then I used a small flathead to push on each metal tab inside the connector inward so it tightened up. Now the radio is very happy.

I just hope I didn't hurt things in the radio transmitting as it progressively got worse. I have extra radios I can just take the SO-259 off of, but figured it was at least worth a try to fix the one already in the radio.

Just remember that without the dielectric pressing against those tabs that it is just a matter of time before they bend right back.. Whats cheaper? A radio and amp, or a bag of spare SO-239's? I learned my lesson messing around like that.

Reactions: BC Coyote and doffo
Just remember that without the dielectric pressing against those tabs that it is just a matter of time before they bend right back.. Whats cheaper? A radio and amp, or a bag of spare SO-239's?
I hear ya. :) I better order some and have some on hand. First time something like that actually happening to me on a radio.

Reactions: brandon7861
Not uncommon on some batches of ranger made rigs. I've had them where the center of the plug is downright loose and moves around which them strains the piece of wire they use coming from the main pcb.
Now that you mention it, I think I might have a few other radios with that center going bad like that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.