• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OTA TV antennas and TV's

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I live 35 miles SE of Columbus, Ohio. I am down in the valley surrounded by rolling hills. Most of my neighbors are using those cheap sub $35 El Cheapo HD amplified antennas with built-in rotor. I'm surprised how well they work, but I don't want to use that kind. I want to use a regular yagi type.

However, I want all I can get. Some stations I want are to the North and SE of me. My friend gets these stations, but must turn his antenna and do a fresh scan. My TV (Samsung) will not allow adding individual digital channels. I have lurked in a few forums, I even read where users are complaining directly to the TV manufactures regarding the inability to add individuals channels. Kinda stupid to lose the previous scanned channels, only to be forced to scan again, just to watch one or two more stations from a different direction.

I suppose, I might be able to buy or build a good omni directional antenna, or mount several antennas in different directions and use a combiner to get everything in all directions to show up in the initial scan.

I wonder if there is a digital TV on the market that WILL allow adding separate digital channel?

Anyone have similar issue or advice?

is your tv antenna on the same tower/mast as any of your radio antennas??

if your tv is close to your radio stuff you could use the 2m or 6m antenna with an adapter to an F connector, get a cheapo tv splitter and use it to combine the 2m or 6m antenna and your real tv antenna into 1 line then into the tv, do a scan then go back to just the tv antenna,, I was surprised when I tried my 2m beam and my 6m beam and could get around 22 digital tv channels with perfect picture

TV antenna is on opposite side of house. Sounds like something to try, though. I thought about trying to start a scan, then have someone turn the antenna back and fort between the direction of stations I'm interested in. Hopefully, I can capture each channel I want during the scan. Might have to make several tries.

Reactions: camaro1
My Sony XBR allows you to add channels...you just scan for additional...I can also edit channels in/out when I want to...strange set-up now I guess....
Don't buy a NEW set unless it has the NEW up-coming formats due in the next 18 months...ATSC 3.0 (I think )...All channels above channels 37 will be moving frequency and adapting new formats....those sets without new capabilities will be back to using adapter boxes to receive this new format.
All the Best
Gary

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/2/14488608/4k-tv-broadcasts-ajit-pai-atsc-3-hdr

Reactions: Klondike Mike
Yes it does...do it all the time....Like 500 Race day when I pointed at Dayton ABC station to watch race...then after race locked that channel out and swung antenna to Indy stations again and no need to rescan

Reactions: wavrider
Looking around in Walmart and found a TCL Roku TV. It's basically an internet TV, which also has tuner. When you set it up, it shows a list of TV stations based on zip code. All you gotta do is highlight the station. This solves my problem. Now, all I do, is spin the rotor to the desired direction and select the station. No need to add a channel, because they're already there.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/how-to/a6608/build-your-own-digital-tv-antenna/

I built this one,,but doubled the number of elements,,X2 four bay antennas vertical on a 5' 2x4. added the old style amplifier that used to buy at radio shack,,bought on ebay.

Since there is no reflector I get stations from both sides IE Jacksonville FL to the NE,,Gainesville FL to SW.

I am considering stacking several of them so I can get Daytona stations,,SE,,and maybe on a good day Orlando stations due South.

Works a lot better than the old style yagi antennas and beats the heck out of having to spin that little rotor around every time to change a station.

I use the 300: 75 ohm adapter to connect to the yagi and then to coax.

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.