• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

pacific antenna test equipment

daddyo

Jan 23, 2016
Doe's any one know any thing about these qrpkits.com test equipment. Rf probe, tracer injector kit, two tone test generator, accuprobe plus. Found there website qrpkits.com equipment is cheap but I guess you get what you pay for. I do not know if the specifications for each piece would work for cb radios. Thanks for the help. daddyo.

What you will need?
The real McCoy; not those toys.

1) A 50mhz or higher mhz O-scope (fifty is fine for CB's). Don't be scared; there are a few YouTube videos that will teach you how to use it. They only look intimidating. You only need it to do a few different functions, but it is indispensable for radio work ( output carrier waveforms on AM, peaking the receiver, pll/oscillator waveforms). Anywhere from $25-50 for a decent used O-scope if you shop carefully. Sometimes you can even get them for free, since the new digital scopes have come on the scene and people don't want to keep their old analog scope. They still work fine for radio; your gain . . .

2) A quality Digital Volt Meter (referred to hear after as a 'DVM meter'). Setting pll and vco voltages and general troubleshooting bad transistors, diodes, testing continuity, voltage checking, and milliamp adjustments. About $50 for a decent one.

3) 50 Ohm dummy load, You can build your own; or just buy one rated @ 100w for about $30 and be done with it. It is used in most of your transmitter adjustments - essential. DO not use an antenna; they will skew the results!

4) Audio source for mic/modulation testing. Is as close as the computer in front of you. No cost; just need decent computer speakers for playback:
http://www.freesound.org/people/klangfabrik/sounds/28636/
Just copy that link to your bookmark bar.

5) RF pickup. This is the only part you will need to build. It is as cheap and easy to construct as one can imagine. This is also essential for getting readings on the O-scope and freq counter. Cost $0-15 depending on how elaborate you build it.

6) Freq Counter & probes. DON'T scrimp here. A decent one - which is essential as well - can run from $25-300 - depending on its quality. I use a few. The one I use most often is the 'Fluke' brand that I bought at a flea market for $8; but it needed some minor repairs. Works perfect now. $100/used for a good one should suffice.

You CANNOT use those little freq counters that are used with CB radios, as they aren't designed nor tuned for repair work.

7) Soldering Station. 15-25w soldering iron, real lead/tin solder, and a solder sucker for removing solder. Can cost anywhere for $30-200. $50 should be enough to have something decent. Solder sucker/remover is about $5 and real lead/tin solder is no longer made but still can be found at flea markets for $20 for a 1lb roll.

8) Signal Generator. Not cheap, as a decent one will run about $200-400/used. Good hunting. I'd save this purchase for last, as it takes some understanding when aligning receivers. Be on the hunt and wait for a bargain to show up in the meantime.

Do NOT get a cheap unit, it must be fully adjustable!!!!!

9) Schematics and service manuals. CBTricks, WWDX, or the internet. You can also find 'Sams' manuals on ebay or flea markets if you are so lucky.

10) SINAD meter. Used for receive alignments along with the sig gen and a scope. There is a computer program which I use and it works great:
http://comtekk.us/sinad.htm
About $40.

11) Patience and an open mind. Cost you nothing except to come up with it.

12) Spectrum Analyzer. Very costly pieces of gear. Don't have one yet. I understand there is one that will work via a USB port with your computer. Some here have been using it; they just haven't said yea or nay yet of its effectiveness. $40 for the USB or $1500 or more for the real McCoy. Separates the men from the boys when it comes to doing AM radio right - IMO . . . . . .

There is more; but that should get your feet on the ground running . . .

Last edited:
Man thanks robb for the links. I'm just looking around for the deals. I'm not real big into electronics so I have a lot of questions. Thanks again for taking time to help me. daddyo.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.