• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PACKET PROGRAM/SIMPLE

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
Where do I find a simple packet program, just basic to use..

Anyone run a signal link usb with a Yaesu FT857..how is the set up?

DOCTOR/795

doctor,
How about this one? ;

SV2AGW.com (Downloads)

Uses the sound card for an interface. Works just fine for me. I'm sure there will be some programs that don't 'like' it, but no idea what they might be.
- 'Doc

Started to say it works just fine on my laptop, but then it works just fine on the computer in the house too, so big deal...

I just use minicom in linux or hyper-terminal in Windows.

So few people ever bother with file transfers that having any of the 'packet software' doesn't really save you much of anything.

For emcomm use and even for general BBS mail use, I really like Outpost a lot.

Outpost Packet Message Manager Homepage

It makes the interface look like a stripped down email program. Very easy to show people who don't need to understand packet radio how to use.

I use a Rigexpert with a Yaesu 897d (and used to do it with an 857d). It's basically the same thing as a signalink. It works fine. I don't run packet, but I do lots of other digital modes...

SV2AGW

On the sv2agw, what one do I download, a lot to pick from, also what do I run from the computer in and out to what on the radio???

DOCTOR/WR795

doctor,
Now I think I know who sent the PM that I goofed and deleted! Sorry 'bout that.

Look for "AGWPE.zip", it's the free ('hamware' license) program. It configures the sound card into a TNC to use with most of the digital programs. There's also a file of drivers that you may/may not need, get it just in case.

Very basically, you need a patch cord from the sound card input (mic) to the radio's output, or speaker jack. That's the signal into the computer. Another patch cord from the sound card's speaker jack to the mic or digital signal into the radio. That one might need a isolation transformer (Rat Shack 1:1) to prevent interference problems. Wouldn't hurt to put one on the other patch cord either. A bucket of torroids for those cables may also come in handy, but try it first to see if it's necessary.

That 'AGWPE' does need to be set up/configured. It isn't all that simple, but it's also not all that difficult (hey, I did it, anyone can!). There are a couple of forums on 'Yahoo' that deal with all this, not a bad idea to take a look at them.
I don't use this strictly for packet, so can't help you with that end of it. It's a pretty generic type of thing so will 'handle' most of whatever you run with it, sort of, it ain't fool proof (it's free). If you have problems with it, George (SV2AGW) has been very helpful.
Have fun...
- 'Doc

GUYS
Where can I purchase a cable to plug into pc<mic jack>, and the other end into the mic connector on the transmitter..Yaesu..modular phone type

TNX
DOCTOR/795

Good question! Wish I had an answer, but I don't. I hate them @#$ type connectors! mainly cause I can't put the silly things on cables and am too cheap to buy the 'crimper' to do it with. I'd be willing to bet that Yaesu has cables like that, or ones that can be used with the 'data' jack if that radio has one. Good luck.
- 'Doc

And if you find such a source, please tell me too!

With a signalink USB, just call them up and get the cable for your radio, it will save you a bunch of time and hassle...or make one of your own.

It will go into the data mini-DIN plug on the back of the rig. You have to look in the manual to make your own as you will need to pin it out differently for 1200 VHF or 9600 UHF as you need a different audio feed for 9600.

Oh and don't forget to check the internal jumpers on the signalink vs the cable you use.

I have been trying to get soundcard packet going here for a few days, but can't get it going properly. I have AGWPE installed, configured, and running. I followed the instructions and it appears to be ready to go, but I can't get anything to show up in either AGWTERM or AGWMonitor. But the little tray icon for AGWPE reports "sent" packets as they come in.

I have the radio tuned to a local APRS node---that's packet, right? Nothing happens when I try to TX, either. The AGWTERM window shows me trying to TX, but the PTT isn't switching the radio to TX. Monitoring my speaker out jack on the computer does reveal TX audio being sent, but no PTT. It is almost as if the AGWPE isn't communicating with either terminal program and vice versa. Audio from the radio IS reaching AGWPE, because the sound card setup window works and shows the audio waveform.

All my settings are for 1200 baud, and basically just the defaults for everything. I'll check out the Yahoo groups that Doc mentioned, but does anyone know of a setting or two I could mess with to get it going?

One thing you might try is seeing how your radio 'expects' to be keyed for the digital modes, RS-232 port, VOX/audio capabilities, no idea what else. I know that there's no key-line via the USB port for my radio, has to be a second connection (that isn't 'standard' by any means, that's why I say to check what your radio 'expects' or is capable of being 'commanded' to do). I had it all working wiht the 'old' computer, it had an RS-232 port, this 'new' one doesn't. Didn't/don't have any particular reason, or need of it (so far) so not going to mess with it yet. Using the right cable is a sort of 'no brainer'. Finding out which is the 'right' cable is a 'big brainer'. I qualify as a 'no brainer', not too often as a 'big brainer'. Write all that stuff down so when I need it I'll know where to ask...
Good luck!
- 'Doc

I forget if I mentioned it here or not.

I've pretty much given up on using soundcard for packet. Yes, AGWPE works, as does the linux approach. Both however have weird latency/timing issues with packet generation.

Meaning, say this -> |-----------------------------| is the 'window' where the rig keys up and packet data is transmitted. I get pseudorandom timing issues where I get

|--------packet data---------| <- normal packet
|acket data--------| <- foreshortened packet
|--------packet da| <- truncated packet

This wallowing/sliding window issue cannot be consistently 'fixed' until I have ludicrous values for txdelay and txtail so that the window is so large the packet can't 'miss'.

This causes tons of retransmissions which really slows things down.

With the window stretched on either side, it also slows things down horrendously.

I've gone back to using the hardware TNC that is built into my TS-2000 for now and if I ever get a used TNC that is working properly, will likely just dedicated a hardware TNC and a spare rig as the packet configuration here.

I've checked around on mailing lists and found several other people who had these issues too. It may be a combination of my computer hardware and the Tigertronics box, but I've also heard from people having similar experiences with totally different hardware and OS versions.

I've had this issue with multiple versions of Ubuntu, using multiple versions of the linux 'soundmodem' userspace utilities. I've had the issue with multiple PCs with XP, Vista and Windows 7 on them too.

It could likely also be that I use the PC for other things all the time too, so maybe the machine needs to be fully dedicated to packet ops only so there are no OS level timing issues. I'm really not sure, but after literal months of hours spent on this over the last few years, my patience level is just expired on it.

One last note, some local nodes that use soundcard configurations have similar weirdness to them when connected and doing larger message transfers. So using a hardware TNC on my end, I've noticed the nodes using soundcards are nowhere near as responsive as those using hardware TNCs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.