• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Paintinng an Antenna?

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
Is it possible to spray paint a fiberglass antenna any color that you want on not hurt the performance of the antenna? Something like a wilson 5 foot fgt silverload with the cap on?

Last edited:

Go for it. I lightly spray paint all of my antennas. Generally the base antennas. The white fiberglass or shiny aluminum stands out a mile away. I use the Krylon Ultra Flat Camo colors. Usually the olive drab. So painted the antenna blends right into the trees in the background and many times I've had to point the thing out to people they didn't even notice it and it's right on my roof. Does not affect performance at all. If it did, I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I found some spray paint at Ace Hardware designed to be used on plastics. I sprayed my A-99 a very light sky blue. Didn't affect performance and it blends in well to the surroundings. Any spray paint will work. ;)

Go for it. I lightly spray paint all of my antennas. Generally the base antennas. The white fiberglass or shiny aluminum stands out a mile away. I use the Krylon Ultra Flat Camo colors. Usually the olive drab. So painted the antenna blends right into the trees in the background and many times I've had to point the thing out to people they didn't even notice it and it's right on my roof. Does not affect performance at all. If it did, I wouldn't do it.
We built up a Cushcraft AR-10 10M antenna and painted it with camo colors - tan, brown, green, and a spot of black here and there. Hoisted the sucker up a tall tree, and it's invisible (which was the whole idea). At 50' high, you just can't see it. I would use a flat paint.

Since the SilverLoad is sheathed in UV protected vinyl shrink-wrap, it might not be a great idea to paint it. After the weather and moisture has a chance to work its way thru minute cracks in that paint, it may separate from the vinyl. Then it will look blotchy and nasty after it flakes off. As Beetle sad, metal compounds in the paint might affect it function too. Hate to see how it would work if sprayed with aluminum paint - lol! The SilverLoad is a top-load type antenna - BTW. I would just clean it with soap and water and run it as it is - IMO.

Now, if you were talking about an A99, Imax 2000, or other fiberglass-type antenna; then it is decent plan to use varnish. These antennas begin to shed fiberglass after being weather-beaten after a few years and actually benefit from getting varnish on them. That varnish will act as a binder to keep the fiberglass together for years to come.

Last edited:
Is it possible to spray paint a fiberglass antenna any color that you want on not hurt the performance of the antenna? Something like a wilson 5 foot fgt silverload with the cap on?

Well i know you can not spray it aluminium silver paint, a mate of mine did a 7 feet firestick and his swr went almost to the red.... the paint must have had a high metal content :oops:

The only things you should pay attention to with painting an antenna is if the paint is conductive, and keeping the insulators un-painted. After that it's just deciding what color you want.
- 'Doc

(Nothing new in this, just restating what's already been said.)

Thank you. I have an old a99 up behind some trees. I kind of like it being unseen from the road. Not that im hiding or doing anything wrong. Just happened to notice the chrome shining. I put it up in a hurry just to see if the rig I got on CL was working. i have some rg8x slack, and think I may get another 20 feet in height. Its on a 10 foot mast now. So far, Im happy with the a99. The antenna and coax has to be 15 years old, maybe more. I can get a weak signal from my brother in law . He has to be 25 miles straight shot. Sorry for going on and on. I was thinking about a new antenna but i want to elevate this one first. Also maybe a ham license in the near future.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.