• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PALOMAR 300A METER BULB

The RF deck can be modified to match the higher-voltage transformer. Remove the diodes from the voltage-doubler circuit. Building a bridge circuit will require using eight 1N5408 rectifiers, with two of them in series in each of the circuit's four legs. Kinda cramped, but doable.

The single-piece black-epoxy bridge rectifier that Palomar used was rated at 1500 Volts. Haven't seen that part advertised in decades. This does also necessitate putting a separate 270k (or so) bleeder resistor across each of the two HV filter caps. They serve both to bleed off stored charge when power is removed AND to divide the voltage equally 50/50 between the two caps.

Never have seen a "how to" for this on line.

A bit risky if you have to write your own instructions to do it.

I'm luck to have learned the difference between a diode and tube within the recent past. It's not financially feasible to go through all you've mentioned. I'm in no rush to own another 300a. I occasionally keep my eye on eBay for that cosmetically minty one 300a. Mine has had everything replaced and upgraded about 17 months ago. It's coincidental that you mention the 1500 volt rectifier that you haven't seen available for some time. The person who's rebuilt/upgraded everything I currently use mentions a component that he had to fabricate for the 300a because it's no longer available. I'd have to dig up the receipt in order to see if it's that difficult to find rectifier but something tells me building rectifier's isn't done. I will look for that receipt in order to definitively find out what it was that he had to fabricate. I must say he did excellent job (as always). I am of the belief that these CB Craze days era amplifiers and other equipment are still viable if restored properly. I've had and own a few of the popular amps from those days and the 300a is my favorite. Mine has 2 x 6kd6 drivers and 4 x 6lf6 finals. 11/2 DK with 13 pep shows 125 DK and 500 pep on both my autek wm1's. IMO for what it is, it's a terrific amp and besides the exsesive heat created it's a joy to use. I tuned it over a year ago and haven't touched the load tune knobs since. I'd like to get another just for GP. I'm sure if I had the knowledge and dexterity to repair the oldies but goodies I'd own more. Having to pay other's to bring everything up to and beyond original spec isn't cost effective. So when I see something I've always wanted and it's cosmetically mint and electrically sound I'll get it. I'm under no delusions that if not already done they need to restored. There are many who think because it looks wonderful inside everything is still to spec and will work like it did the day it left the factory. And continue to do so for years..After 30 plus Years one has to assume that there are many components need replacement and or upgrads. Back to the 300a. IMO it's one of the best CB amps of that era especially once restored. OFF SUBJECT FOT A MOMENT, but I always laugh when I hear qso's between two or more stations waiting for a 1 kw to show up on eBay so they can replace their current 500 Watt amp. Of course their usually saying how the extra 500 is going to change their s 5 to a 9 over. A local who owns a nice sounding n2 is sending it out in order to upgrade the finals to get it to do 300. I say nothing because it's like talking to a brick wall. I'm looking forward to seeing the problems this n2 will have after the upgrade. And I've little to no doubt that it will never sound or work as nice as it does in it's stock form. Anyway. Thanks for taking the time to help my friend. It's not the first time you've went out of your way to do so. Just as many of the members on this site. 73. Ps If my disability didn't stop me from being able to work on this stuff my interest in learning more about the technical aspects might be there, but it's not. I just want to key the mic and sound as good as I can with what I have. And that where people like yourself come into play. Happy forth. Be safe.By the way first time I've ever had a d104 modified. Loosecannon installed a fet board and the audio reports on AM as well as SSB have been positive. The mod absolutely added some low end to the normally hight picthed mono toned type audio that usually one gets with these mic's. I'm a believer. 20170208_202229.jpg

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.