• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 450 fet linear amp ???

jono400

Jan 11, 2009
Been offered an PALOMAR 450 fet linear amplifier at £175GBP, not a lot known about either Palomar / these particular amps ??? any good ?? measured ouput for a given input ?? lan to use the amp on 10mtrs.

what sort off price do they sell for in the usa guys ??

Good post here

New Palomar HD250FET and HD450FET

from what I've read on the net..they ( FET250HD and the FET450HD )
put out about 4 1/2--5 watts for every watt put in.

Spec's on the amp here ( this is also where I bought mine )

http://www.epoweramps.com/linear_amplifiiers.htm

------------in MY case----------

I have never checked mine with a meter ( don't have one )..but using real world LONG distance radio checks..it brings me up and average of 2 S units on SSB and AM.

NOTE: I'm NOT able to drive the Palomar FET450HD to it's full output..( I'm only driving it with 63-66 watts.)

It works great on SSB..AM and FM

Also in MY case..it really likes a long jumper between radio and amp. ( I'm using 18' )

the shorter jumpers ( 2'..3'..6'..8'..12' ) caused the amp to chatter and sometimes not want to un-key.

A few pic's of my " Palomar FET450HD "

I added a fan to keep it cool.....Masscool 140mm 2 Ball Bearing Silent Case Fan

And a very small toggle switch for the fan....Radio Shack #275-0645

I cut off the fan's computer wiring harness and added the switch and new wiring....then covered the switch and wiring with hot glue to keep everything in place.

Then added some 1 inch rubber feet from Lowes....Grippers #0054238

img0718u.jpg

img0719q.jpg

img0720v.jpg

img0725dl.jpg

img0728tf.jpg

Last edited:
Ive got one, its output is a bit dirty.....but what do you expect for a "cb linear" I was getting more towards 500 watts out of mine and it stayed cool with a fan similar to the one pictured.

I wouldnt buy one again, but it is a decent toy. It has made the difference on contacts in jamaica, brazil, australia and into canada when lots of 100w import radios were on air.

keep in mind this is a cb grade product and wont give you the same perfomance as nice amateur gear.

I ordered one from DNJ before I inquired about it here in this thread. I noticed my account activity kept saying processing.

I emailed Frank... He replied that they have to make me a "brand new" one and ship it out this Saturday. :confused:

Anyways, as I always say... It's only money. I'll check it out and if I don't like it, well... off it will go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.