• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PALOMAR 500 ELITE FAN ISSUE

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
I've been using this Palomar while my phantom was being repaired, I'm ready to be put the phantom back in service, but before I do so it seems like this Palomar is or has developed a problem with the fan.

Last week I noticed that the fan stopped working. The amp still keys up in both single sideband and AM, even though the fan is not running.

I tested it and both those modes with the fan not spinning. I quickly keyed it to test the operational function of the amp not wanting to overheat the it.

I gave the fan a shot of the DeoxIT and it began quickly working and has been ever since..
this evening it stopped spinning again. I shut the amp off immediately, gave it another shot of DeoxIT, and it began to spin again. It worked fine as I left the amp on for approximately 45 minutes without keying it. I noticed the fan stopped spinning again.

Can anyone tell me if I should replace this fan, or is it another issue? I have no experience with any type of cooling fan for amplifiers and don't know if the fan itself is failing, or there is another issue. Do these fans slowly fail, or do they sporadically stop, then spin, or do they just cease to work when they fail? I would like to repair it before I put it away, as it made an excellent back up while my phantom was being repaired.

Can you please advise? Thank you very much my friends, and have an excellent 2016.2016-01-06_00.19.26~2.jpg

Last edited:

shot of pb blaster might prolong the life of the fan but as Crusher posted is best if replaced.

DeoxIT comes in many versions, each has a different usage.

it is a great product, however, lubrication of moving metal parts is not its intended purpose.

if you used DeoxIT on the rotating fan shaft/sleeve bearing, you removed any oil/grease on it. so after a while it binds up and stops.

DeoxIT comes in many versions, each has a different usage.

it is a great product, however, lubrication of moving metal parts is not its intended purpose.

if you used DeoxIT on the rotating fan shaft/sleeve bearing, you removed any oil/grease on it. so after a while it binds up and stops.
Good looking out road squawker. A nice shot of WD 40 seems to have done the job. The fans been running for a bit over two hours now with an occasional key on AM and some modulation on single side band. The last two times it shut off it did so within 45 minutes and considering it's been running for over two hours now and the fan sounds nice and smooth I think that was the problem. When the Fan nitially stopped last week I just touched it with my finger and it immediately started spinning again. I assumed that DeoxIT would do the job, but live and learn. The DeoxIT probably caused any lubrication to dissipate. I'm usually pessimistic and would have assumed from the beginning that fan would needed to be changed out, but optimistic at this point that the WD 40 did the job and that's all it needed. I was going to swap out this amp for My everyday user phantom that was just repaired but I think I'm going to run this Palomar 500 elite for a few more days, just to see if the fan continues to spin. I did want to put this aunt Away in 100% working condition in case I needed to use you as a backup. I have several more amplifiers but this Palomar actually works really well. Thanks to all who replied and have a great New Year. 73

Reactions: Road Squawker
Replace the fan. It's shot.
An update on my last post regarding the fan. As I mentioned in my last post the wd40 has got the fan spinning without fail but I noticed a dropping in and out of the fans speed.. It sounds similar to a 120 volt power drop every 5 seconds.. I'm assuming that's a definet sign the fan needs to be replaced. I'm going to be replacing the amp with the phantom, but would like to have the Palomar 100% that way when it is needed again it will be in proper working order and ready for backup use. Should I replace the fan with the exact one thats in there as far as the specs go? Thanks to all, once again.

Yes, a same as, replacement will work just fine. You can also look into a better fan. Not going to hurt it. Keeping it cool is the main key. That and one that is quiet as possible as well. JMHO. I like keeping all my equipment as cool as possible and the noise level as quiet as possible as well. But for GP, the stock fan replacement will or should be fine!!

replacement fans are dirt cheap these days, but if you are real frugal ,you might want to pull it apart and clean and lube the bearing and shaft. Take the cir clip ( usually hidden under the sticker) off and the fan just comes apart
Fixed many fans this way I am frugal, RE WATERTIGHT. PS wd40 tends to dry out after a while leaving you with the same problem.

Last edited:
replacement fans are dirt cheap these days, but if you are real frugal ,you might want to pull it apart and clean and lube the bearing and shaft. Take the cir clip ( usually hidden under the sticker) off and the fan just comes apart
Fixed many fans this way I am frugal, RE WATERTIGHT. PS wd40 tends to dry out after a while leaving you with the same problem.
Thanks vkrules. I'm definitely not frugal. I wish I was. My Girl keeps busting my balls about the way I spend money. I took down all the spec information from the back of the fan. It's a Sunco. I'm going to get the exact one if I can. That way the dimensions match up with the four screws that hold it in place. I seen some of these amps before with just two screws holding the fan in. I'm assuming whoever changed it out in those words that I've seen on ebay we're just too lazy to put off for screws back in. I hope that I can get the same exact one from the same company if not I'm sure that I'll find one that fits. Thanks for the information, & I will save the old fan for a back up and maybe during some spare time I might open it up and do exactly as you said. They actually replace that 500 with the fandom and we'll use that Palomar 500 as a backup so I'm I'm in no rush to replace that fan. I will get it done in good time. Thanks to all who replied great help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.