• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Elite 900

16vt

Apr 7, 2009
What should I expect out of 2x1446 driving 4x2879? Seller said max 20watts swing on AM and SSB should be used to drive amp. I'm seeing 400 on the meter. Should I expect more? Can I drive more power into it? Thx

what did u find with this amp , i also have one and not sure on the exact drive wattage.. seems if i set them to the standars that came with it. on ssb it barly turns on.. what do u put in yours am and ssb and what do u get out of it?

I have a 900HD. Runs four 2SC2879's same as the Ameritron ALS-500. Since it's basically a 13dB amp (according to the 2879 specs), 10W CW drive should deliver 200W, 25W CW drive should deliver ~500W output at 13.8VDC. Even if it's only a 10dB amp, that will still do me fine. This is why I bought it, to provide some power for my 2510/2600. Haven't yet actually tried it. Have to examine the bias circuit to make sure it's absolutely AB1 linear, (otherwise it will produce trash, distortion, spurs, crap, splatter, etc.).

Last edited:
This is what i found, Im thinking about one also, OR texas star 667.
Palomar Elite 900
Two 2SC2290 Drivers
Four 2SC2879 Finals
Designed for radios with under 35 watts (approx)
Recommend: <4 Watt Deadkey
APPROX 400-500 WATTS RMS

Stay away from the 667 and get a straight (non variable) Texas Star DX500 put a $10.00 fan setup on it over the heatsink and drive it with your radio you wont be dissapointed ;)

Stay away from the 667 and get a straight (non variable) Texas Star DX500 put a $10.00 fan setup on it over the heatsink and drive it with your radio you wont be dissapointed ;)
Couldn't agree more! That amp is true AB1, and the four 2879's will be easily driven by any radio. Even if you run a 4W radio, 4W will deliver 80W dk or 320W PEP. A typical export, runs 8 to 10W dk or 25W PEP SSB. This will give you 400W dk, and anywhere from 160 to 200W dk or 600W PEP or more modulated. That 25W PEP SSB will deliver minimum 500W PEP or more. Not too shabby! High drive amps are inherently more linear and cleaner than amps that require a driver.

Thats why I said the 500 I have 2 500 and a 400 those 500 are ran with High SSB power input and with a fan they scream and stay clear and a bit cleaner than than alot of amplifiers.

I also agree that a person really has to watch the input on the 667 due to the point of saturation of the transistors when people start not paying attention or getting brave with laying the boots to the amplifier on the power input.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.