• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Lizard250hd

Jan 5, 2011
I have a palomar lizard 250hd was wondering what the preffered deadkey should be as this is a high drive amp right now im putting in a bout a 2 watt dead key and getting about 200 out of it what is the full capabilities of this amp,it does not get hot right now or anything cant find much info online about it believe it has sd1446 pills in it any help would be appreciated

2W DK is all you want to hit that amp with. anything greater will eventually cause all of the magic smoke to escape.
If you are seeing 200W, consider yourself lucky and be happy with it.

160 - 180 from 2 SD1446 is what you should see I imagine 200 watts is possible but that should tell you your laying the boots a little to hard to those transistors.

back down on the mic gain a bit and shoot for 125 to 140 watts and if you can get your radio drive to 3/4 to 1 watt would be nice, your best friend would be a stout power supply.

Some of those also came through with 2290 finals, I guess they used whatever they could get. For the money they were ok little amps. So far you have gotten good advise, something like 1-2 watts input dead key should work. The peak wattage depends more on what the radio swings then the dead key.

thanks for all the reply my radio keys up at 2 watts and swings 10 watts why do they say these things are a higfh drive i dont understand that

thanks for all the reply my radio keys up at 2 watts and swings 10 watts why do they say these things are a higfh drive i dont understand that

A high drive amp is one that is optimized for higher drive levels and one who's keying circuit is also optimized to handle that drive.

Although these traits are not perhaps the best way to use an amp but certainly works for a while.

I had remembered these having 2 X 2SC2290 transistors in them aswell and was caught a little off guard with the post but also figured that its not uncommon for the builders to change the transistors in production of these.

Several things come to mind. First, with the small cheap amplifiers alot of the time they stamp HD on the front so it sells better.

Next, with small amplifiers the HD usually refers to peak drive levels. So if you have say an Export radio that can dead key 2 watts and swing 40-50 you would need a true HD amp.

Something like an X-Force 200HD or TnT 350 are a true HD amp. A Texas Star 250 and 350 really are not.

I forgot to turn output back down before turning my Palomar 450HD on one day and was hitting it with about 40W DK. :eek:

10 minutes later, the magic smoke leaked out.:laugh:

Luckily, it was just a cap that folded early so it was a 10 minute $2.00 fix.

You got that right!! A person really needs to know or ask someone (HONEST) Who does know before firing up a so called High Drive model amplifier. I have heard a few different explanations of this and it really is simple. (The High Drive amplifiers were made to be compatible with the new aged dual final export radios) Some had input padding to actually protect the amplifier from the higher input power being driven into it ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.