• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar ssb adjustment ??

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
does anybody knows if the Palomar 300A base amp, relay shatters when been us in SSB mode, is there and adjustment to hold it a tad longer while talking and not sound like morse code

• Haha
Reactions: groundwire

300A1.png
300A.png

It looks to be a 22MF cap there now, bottom left corner. you can check the value and if it's bad, replace it or move up a couple.But I'm just guessing here.

well, today i got a chance to look at the bottom of amp no 22uf i believe the 1000uf is the correct place for ssb ???

Attachments

• 20230703_103350~01.jpg
    20230703_103350~01.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230703_103402~01.jpg
    20230703_103402~01.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 44
I may be mistaken, and it's no secret that I am no tech, but I think I recall a sensitivity adjustment somewhere in the 300A ... Am I wrong?

the SSB cap is on a small board with 3 relays on it seen from the top with top cover off. Here's 2 examples.
View attachment 64446
View attachment 64447
well, mine has a 47uf i tried the 470 relay hangs too long on am the good thing was i found 2 loose ground straps one did not have enough solder and was just dangling 2nd one was missing a screw, and put the 47uf back in.it is what it is 108 feels like in FL today thanks for the info anyway was worth the effort

Reactions: NZ8N
does anybody knows if the Palomar 300A base amp, relay shatters when been us in SSB mode, is there and adjustment to hold it a tad longer while talking and not sound like morse code
I have never seen a relay shatter when used on ssb. Good thing there is a cover on the amp, a piece of it might fly out and hit you in the eye. You got issues

I have never seen a relay shatter when used on ssb. Good thing there is a cover on the amp, a piece of it might fly out and hit you in the eye. You got issues
street language relay clicking off and on. electronic term= latch time. never tried on SSB until a few days ago. got my answer from the previous owner today he wrote
When you key the mic on SSB you get no wattage until you speak. The mic will pic up room noise which you can see on a watt meter and it appears as a small carrier. It's not enough to hold the relay open so the amp goes click click click. If your on SSB mode and you key the mic just talk. The click click click problem will go away. When your done talking un-key the mic or guess what.......... the relay will try to release and you will hear a click click click all over again

street language relay clicking off and on. electronic term= latch time. never tried on SSB until a few days ago. got my answer from the previous owner today he wrote
When you key the mic on SSB you get no wattage until you speak. The mic will pic up room noise which you can see on a watt meter and it appears as a small carrier. It's not enough to hold the relay open so the amp goes click click click. If your on SSB mode and you key the mic just talk. The click click click problem will go away. When your done talking un-key the mic or guess what.......... the relay will try to release and you will hear a click click click all over again
I still cant say i have ever heard a relay shatter? I think its nearly impossible. He still doesn't get it :LOL::rolleyes:

Reactions: 1iwilly

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.