• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Patch Coax

W

W9WD

Who makes/sells 3-4' coax patch cables of high quality?
The big stuff is too unruly
Cheaper is better

Who makes/sells 3-4' coax patch cables of high quality?
The big stuff is too unruly
Cheaper is better

You do. Learn how to install PL-259s correctly, get a supply of GOOD connectors and adapters, GOOD cable of whatever sort you want, a GOOD soldering iron (at least 80-100 watts with a massive tip that will stay hot, and some GOOD solder - not the lead-free stuff. 60/40 tin/lead. 63/37 is marginally better.

A bit of money initially, but you can then make the jumpers to your own exact specifications. Beats paying somebody else to do it (or try to do it; some of the commercial jumpers I've seen are atrocious.)

Also, just to try and keep things straight, ya want to try and use the same coax for patches that you are using going out to your antenna. Coaxes have differing impedances and velocity factors. Mix-matching differing electrical factors can contribute to your SWR being out of whack. You'll simply know that everything should be okay if you keep it all the same.

You're right that SOLID center conductor RG8 is stiff and unruly and harder to work with. There are plenty of varieties of stranded center conductor RG8. I use Belden 9913F. The "F" is for "flex." It is very flexible and is 100% shielded low-loss stuff. It's the main choice of hams and is available at any ham store or reputable coax seller.

Good luck

interview.gif

How much power are you running? Because this changes the type of coax you want to use over the entire install, i really enjoy my lmr-240 stuff.... I Have made the majority of my jumpers from it. You just need to learn how to put them pl259's on the ends.... takes a little trial and error......

or you can try "Screw on" or solder less.... i used to use them for a while with no problems.... i believe firestick made the ones i used.

(wire weasel is right, it should be the same type through out the install, but i didnt want that thick stuff between all my gear once it got inside, My swr's are still fine, but obviously one mans experience isnt every mans experience.)

I use the mini 8 coax for patch cords. I use Belden 9913 from the radio to the antenna.

The mini 8 is very flexible and has 95% shielding - but get the best stuff. You can tie it in a knot - but I wouldn't do that. I generally don't use a jumper/meter between my radio and my coax that goes out to my antenna. I use a Dosy meter with a 3 ft piece of mini 8 jumper coax when I want to test, monitor, or adjust a radio. I like a direct connection to my antenna and radio with nothing getting in the way in order to keep the signal integrity high. So long as you use it in 3 ft or 6 foot lengths and make your own using silver-plated connectors, you would be doing it as right as one can do - IMO...
Just two cents worth.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching coax types as long as you're keeping it all 50 ohm stuff (unless you're intentionally doing something that requires a different impedence like 75 ohms). The differing velocity factors of coax only matters if you're trying to use your coax for impedence matching, which is not the best thing to do. It's very common practice to use something like RG8x for jumpers between equipment and then use something larger for the long run to the antennas.

If you're trying to have your equipment close to the wall use mini 8 but if you have some room for bends use the rg-8 style.

"It's hard to get the ends for $4.95 a jumper"
Man, I can agree with that! Just bought some good '259's, something like $7.ea after shipping. Unless whoever made those jumpers buys by the box car load, I have to wonder about which connectors they use. Which is -not- saying that they are not good!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

...That Davis stuff lifts the meter right off the table...

I see that you have already made a jumper purchase, but just wanted to pass along a tip that works well for meters not staying where you want them - 3M double sided tape - it works great! Cut pieces that will fit on the bottom of the rubber feet, stick them to the feet then peel off the paper on the other side of the tape and stick it to your desk/table/bench. Your meter will stay exactly where you want it to, and if you ever decide to rearrange the tape comes off both the feet and desk (leaving no residue) with minimal effort. (y)

That eBay deal -sounds- like a good one! I'm afraid I have reservations about buying anything off of eBay, there is absolutely no guaranties of quality. I've also heard of instances where that 'quality' wasn't exactly what was expected (did concern PL-259's by the way). I've been bitten too many times, so will hold out for that guarantee!
But, if you should happen to buy a load of those Amphenol connectors, and if they really are as good a quality as the factory fresh ones, I would be happy to refund your purchase price for as many as I can afford, and pay for the shipping. The 'catch' is that YOU will have to supply that guarantee... Deal??
- 'Doc

I did buy some and the only problem was that they just dumped all 10 in a padded shipping bag and sent them. The got banged around a little during shipping. They weren't dented but dinged a little. They shipped fast.
In my feed back I suggested that their wrapping could have been better.

Don't blame you for your reluctance to deal with ebay folks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.