• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PC66XL

I guess I'm a minority here and that's ok IMHO. I said I was going out on a limb and I did.
Justin, you mean to tell me that you'd rather have a basic radio like that over a nice SSB mobile employing a MB8719 or uPD858 PLL not to mention dual finals, a hefty audio chip and audio circuit that can be improved by swapping to tantalums, a nice sized readable meter, etc? Plenty of nice 40ch AM radios w/ PLL02A out there too. Personally, high peak watts isn't my priority with radios. They must have plenty of other features and good overall performance. Garage sales/hamfests are where one finds the classics.

IM kinda with you here L-One .....not that opening cans of worms is my favorite pass time. IM just a low life cb'er according to some ....that's OK though !! I've had many of the fancy radios (10 meter converts) over the years ...always ended back to the Unidens/Cobras one way or the other ...Hmmm ? This is truly a great hobby for me !! I love 5.00 swap meet specials and Ebay wonder radios !! I more then likely have baught 100 of them off of Ebay over the years and 9 out of 10 of them were vigin radios !! I said virgin radios !! they may have been a bit beat up around the edges but they were never touched all the same !! What does that say ? ...That tells me that many many cb radio operators simply work them right out of there boxes !! not all need to have them gone through with every haaack in there towns. IM always hearing the Ebay horror stories ....I guess I just must be one of the lucky ones ? Hmmm ? Some may look at it as rocket science and you have to have this or that to do your radio operating thing .....not me !! bring on the 66s and the 25s !! ....It's all good though ....guys just have to have what they have to have to think there doing there things to there likings. Nothing wrong with being in the now if that's your thing.....if one really wanted to sound crystal clear on a cb radio with maybe a slight tune up ? for about 20 or 25 dollars including shipping they could get a older Midland (or G.E./Perice -Simpson) PLL 02a chip radio ...Those radios were tanks !!! with great receive on top of that !!! ...but the audio on those with a stock mic is like nothing I've ever heard before !! just crystal clear !! ....they also make for very nice base station operations with maybe a tuber on the side .......folks just like what they like and that's OK .......it's either a hobby or it's a job for others. )))))))Smokestack)))))) get that SWR checked !!!

How much is a swr meter? And could i get one at say.....radioshack? heh. Its nice to see so many diff points of view all at one place.. And getting along for the most part :p

Anyhow. Thanks for all the input. I turned the ..vr3 in my radio. Its peggin my tx meter all the way when i key the mic. It was at 4 all the time. And everyone says it sounds good. So thanks for the advice on that one. i looked and looked and didnt have a VR5...just one two and three. SO i took the chance and turned three up and keyed up...just to see and it pegged it. So i hope i did okay.

VR 3 is your TX meter ......you should bring that back to 4 where it was .....with the radio open and the front end facing you ,VR 5 should be right in front of VR 3 on the left side of the large transformer in the radio .....if VR 5 is gone ? there should at least be a empty space where it should go ? and if that's the case , somebody took it out !! .....so basically that should mean that VR5 is already maxed out. SWR meters are gotten at Radio Shack and other places ,if you talk to folks out there on your radio ,you might ask around if you can borrow one to check your situation out. S-K

SS ..... , I suppose I should have stressed to you not to turn anything else in your radio other then VR5 ...lucky for you it was only the meter pot ...just turn it back where it was , as I said ....if VR5 is not where I told you it was ,it has been removed and that would lead me to believe that your radio has been worked on and the audio is maxed out. . Let me know what you find there ? I sent you a PM .

Roger Dodger, yes there are better radio's out there. the whole point is if all a guy wants is a nice little 40 channel radio to talk on those can be perked up and talk well.

I found it. It was right there in front of me. Right where you said it was. I Just didnt see the number right or something. But i got the meter set back and turned it all the way up. I think. I turned it both ways using my handheld to see if it sounded any different. So i "think" i got it right. Thanks for the help

there you go SS !!! that's great dude !!! now we just got to figure out your SWR and you should be pretty well to go !! ...if at first you don't succeed ......try try again ! Switch Kit

I have a cherokee AH-27F. I like it alot. Thats what i use at home alot. But its what i was using to see if i was getting anymore power outta my uniden. wanted you all to know what i had as a handheld. I heard i could get more channels with it as well? Anyone know about it?

thats what i heard. If i have two chips soldered? One guy told me he neaded a computer program to do it? I was just wondering. And what are the other "channels"? Ham channels? can i talk on them with the handheld? I heard that you couldnt. Just wondering. Maybe switch kit can set it up ;)

sorry about that Stack ....I know nothing of those hand helds ....maybe Freecell can help you there ? .....I hear tell he's in this bizz ? .....good luck to you.

thanks man. I knew you could help. In one way or the other. Thanks alot man. Its a cool little hand held. Been using it alot tonight. I get alot of ham operators on there though. Dont know why. Im on cb channel 19 with a little mag mount ant. Hear alot of hammers from other states looking for people. I cant ever talk to them just hear them.
Im not sure if its my radio or location that im gettin them. I heard i cant get this thing tuned or nothin even. Just the channel mod. But hell it works anyways. Thanks man.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.