• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

penetrator 500 cap. hat help

014Wny

Nov 16, 2011
:headbang can anybody tell me the length of the cap hat radials? Ive looked everywhere and came up with nothing, also if they are supposed to be straight or at a 45 deg bent down.. almoste done resurecting this thing :D

Thanks
73's

I think straight. Don't know length, sorry.

ah, i seen some straight some bent... idk..... I heard 8.5"L but cant confirm it. I also read to take it off and add 8-10" to existing top piece... Id like back to factory though. But thanks.

73's(y)

:headbang can anybody tell me the length of the cap hat radials? Ive looked everywhere and came up with nothing, also if they are supposed to be straight or at a 45 deg bent down.. almoste done resurecting this thing :D

Thanks
73's

I got some third hand dimensions for the New SP500 in order to do an Eznec5 model, and I was told the top hat elements were .125" x 6'. I don't think you could tell a difference whether horizontal or slanted down.

014, since you haven't installed you antenna yet, I would sure appreciate it if you could give me the correct dimensions for the two wires setup for the matcher, including the individual lengths between every turn, including up to the center holes where they attach. A drawing would also help. Can you help?

Also tell me if you can which year model you have. I want to model and old one too, and see if there is any difference to note.

Good luck.

I got some third hand dimensions for the New SP500 in order to do an Eznec5 model, and I was told the top hat elements were .125" x 6'. I don't think you could tell a difference whether horizontal or slanted down.

014, since you haven't installed you antenna yet, I would sure appreciate it if you could give me the correct dimensions for the two wires setup for the matcher, including the individual lengths between every turn, including up to the center holes where they attach. A drawing would also help. Can you help?

Also tell me if you can which year model you have. I want to model and old one too, and see if there is any difference to note.

Good luck.

ah, forgive me for my non correct vocabulary lol, b ut you are talking about the aluminum wire coming out of base insulator, makes a big loop back downto the main element? the the wire from the same feed point to the ground plane base? I am unsure of model year, it was very rough and bent up.. is there numbers anywhere that i didn't see? i'll help the best i can for ya

73'S

Here is a picture of the two piece wire matcher, if this is what you mean. I know it can be a task, but I'm looking for the measurements from the contact holes for ever bend...so I can model a copy using Eznec modeling software. The measurements in decimals, fractions, or meters will be helpful. Accuracy is of course important to design in modeling.

No numbers on the antenna that I know of.

Maybe you can save or print the image above and place you measurements in the appropriate places and post that image back or email me a copy: edromans@comcast.net

Thanks,

Marconi

Penetrator matcher.jpg

anytime sir! need any more lemme know, it wont be going up for a bit.. got a little more work to do....

73'S(y)

anytime sir! need any more lemme know, it wont be going up for a bit.. got a little more work to do....

73'S(y)
Me too 014. The numbers you sent were far more comprehensive (your covering every dimension) than my other sources, and the numberer's were about the same, so I'll likely try my model again soon.

The first one I did is not working as I expected, and since the match setup is fixed on this antenna, and based on the dimensions of this tuner, it should work IMO, but I'm not sure how Eznec handles any matching. It may only be accomplished using some math input and not the physical matching design.

Where are you located?

Thanks,

glad to help! im about 30 miles east of buffalo..... i just got back into radio after 17 yrs... so i got my nose in books and internet, trying to refresh and learn some new stuff... im not big on antenna therery yet... but id like to try a 11m Jpole someday... by chance do you know where i can find one ground radial? thats all im missing... (im trying to make it original)

thanks!

73's

Unless you are just wanting to make your gammas for the sake of doing it, I ordered everything from Hy-Gain to rebuild my P.500 and it cost me under 20,00. That was both gamma wires, both insulated pieces that hold the wires, bottom and top insulators. It took a little fabricating skill to get the wires and bottom hub assembly to work because the new ones are designed different then the old style. You should drill out the rivets that hold the bottom hub and make sure the 14 gauge wire in there is in good shape as well! I replace all that with a 12 gauge wire and all stainless steel hardware. Mine is working as good or maybe a little better then new and it's twenty or thirty years new.
Good luck

Do it right the first time!!!!(y)(y)

think my antenna fell then was retired... bent up, all plastics good...... BUT i just found out that the top hat radials are 9.5-9.875" long! so i used "fat" coat hangers and bent a loop with 2 screws in a vise, trim to fit, and turned out sturdy... one more GP, it will be in the air! :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.