• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pics of my station

Very nice Turbo !!! glad you don't live down the street from me (-: You surely look like one serious dude !! Very nice !! (-: Peace

hey turbo,great set up my friend,i would give my left t*sticle for a station like that! i'm sure we wont have any problems hearing you over here in the uk...go easy on us!
by the way....who let the wife out of the kitchen?...lol 73.

Turbo6 wrote:
Thanks guys! It took alot of work and $ but its fun. Worse part is my wife HATES this stuff! oh well

Your not alone dude....your not alone. Why do you suppose this is ? Well .......I think many radio operators (including myself) are self-centered human beings. It's our thing to do and not there's , you see ,we can talk to all kinds of people all over the world at times ,along with the locals for hours in and hours out, while they are sitting there watching TV or reading a book or whatever.......with mine it was ....How come you can talk to others and complete strangers for hours on end, day in and day out but not me ? or ,it's only when you want what you want and then you go right back to doing what you do. In many ways she "was" so right ......she's been gone now for 8 years. I hope that I have learned my lesson after all of that ? I would honestly like to think that the new woman in my life for the last 6 years means much more to me then a goddamned cb radio. There really not all that wrong when one can honestly think about it to a degree. I remember once when my X took off her ring and set it on top of my base station in a very upset rage at me satying that it meant more to me then she did ...you would have figured I got a clue then and there .......but my self-centerness over powered me and it was just a matter of time before it was all over. Well ,IM kind of lucky this time ,I only have a mobile set up and I really enjoy being at home and sending time with the new one ........something tells me if i had a base all over , I can only hope and pray that I never ever forget whom she is and talking and listening to her would and should have so much more meaning to it then times before. Life is short.

Switch Kit said:
Turbo6 wrote:
Thanks guys! It took alot of work and $ but its fun. Worse part is my wife HATES this stuff! oh well

Your not alone dude....your not alone. Why do you suppose this is ? Well .......I think many radio operators (including myself) are self-centered human beings. It's our thing to do and not there's , you see ,we can talk to all kinds of people all over the world at times ,along with the locals for hours in and hours out, while they are sitting there watching TV or reading a book or whatever.......with mine it was ....How come you can talk to others and complete strangers for hours on end, day in and day out but not me ? or ,it's only when you want what you want and then you go right back to doing what you do. In many ways she "was" so right ......she's been gone now for 8 years. I hope that I have learned my lesson after all of that ? I would honestly like to think that the new woman in my life for the last 6 years means much more to me then a goddamned cb radio. There really not all that wrong when one can honestly think about it to a degree. I remember once when my X took off her ring and set it on top of my base station in a very upset rage at me satying that it meant more to me then she did ...you would have figured I got a clue then and there .......but my self-centerness over powered me and it was just a matter of time before it was all over. Well ,IM kind of lucky this time ,I only have a mobile set up and I really enjoy being at home and sending time with the new one ........something tells me if i had a base all over , I can only hope and pray that I never ever forget whom she is and talking and listening to her would and should have so much more meaning to it then times before. Life is short.

I agree with you. I also have 2 kids to spend time with. I talk on the radio maybe 4-6 hrs/week. I got on 27.505 last night for 10 minutes and did my check in with the Bochas and turned it off! The only time I get carried away is when I get a new toy :)

Very nice setup Turbo. A question.

I have a new 5 element and I also have an I-10K. I just wished I could get them up as high as you. Right now I am working my Wolf .64 ground plane however. For a while now my beam has not had much to respond to, because of no DX here in Texas and there are not many locals with flat side beams. Lately things have been improving with skip a bit and maybe that is good. I did pretty well in the last CDX contest, but my old beam still was not working real good. If you have had your stuff up for a while, have you noticed your beam not really producing as well as you would expect it should, or are these new 5/8 jobbers just that good?

I am waiting for conditions to improve!

Good luck,

Marconi said:
Very nice setup Turbo. A question.

I have a new 5 element and I also have an I-10K. I just wished I could get them up as high as you. Right now I am working my Wolf .64 ground plane however. For a while now my beam has not had much to respond to, because of no DX here in Texas and there are not many locals with flat side beams. Lately things have been improving with skip a bit and maybe that is good. I did pretty well in the last CDX contest, but my old beam still was not working real good. If you have had your stuff up for a while, have you noticed your beam not really producing as well as you would expect it should, or are these new 5/8 jobbers just that good?

I am waiting for conditions to improve!

Good luck,

I can talk skip just as well or better on my groundplane as the beam about 10% of the time. Skip stations seem to hold in better and put more signal on the beam 90% of the time. Some of them come up 4 or 5 S units when i go to the beam. With the polarity changing all around with skip its not always the best on flat. I can tell you I tried the groundplane at different heights as I added to the tower on local stations up to 50 miles away and once I went over 70' I didnt see any noticeable gain going to the 93' at the base that it is now. I have only had the beam at 85' so cant say about the height vs gain on it. Its hard to believe there is no skip lately in TX because I have heard some killer stations from there but I dont recall hearing any out of W. Texas, mostly central and SE TX. As far as how the flat side beam works on ground wave vs the I-10k OMG! its like the other guy went from 100 watts to 1000 watts!

Thanks Turbo6, I guess it is all about the height of the flat beam. At my age I am limited and I try to do stuff myself. It is possible that this last beam I had up just was not setup correctly, but based on your comments it was the height that was likely the problem. I hear it said all the time that a yagi needs to be high, maybe at least 40 feet and that two wave lengths high is likely best. I guess you saw that too.

Thanks,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.