• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Possible APRS Set-Up

kf4mnc

Jan 2, 2011
I've really gotten into APRS since getting my Kenwood. Th D72, and I also enjoy hiking. So,what I'd like to be able to go hiking and still send out a beacon. The problem is that most places I go have no cell phone coverage and an HT is not powerful enough to reach another operater or igate.

I currently use my d72 mobile with a mirage amp to boost my signal while traveling. What I'd like to do is set up a digi-Peter in my truck to repeat my aprs beacon out stronger. The only radios I know that do that are the d72, Tmd710, and maybe the ft350ar. I don't really want to sink money into the Tmd710 being that it's a number of years old and doesn't have built in GPS. Although I like the possibility of skycommand. The ft350ar is nice, but I don't know if it will work as a digi-Peter, and I don't like how yaesu nickels and dimes you for everything, so it would be a costly purchase.

So, I was thinking about using my D72 as a digi in my truck with my amp, and a protection circuit to keep from killing my battery. Then, buy one of the following: Byonics Micro Trak which offers an 8 watt transmitter for $260, or a Yaesu VX-8GR with programming software for $400, or buy another D72 for $469.

The byonics offers themost power at 8 watts, but it is only usable as an APRS beacon. I like the 8GR for its size and I had a 5R before getting my Kenwood, but I think the Kenwood would be the best purchase. As I already know how it works, and I'd be getting an extra battery and charger for the $70 more.

What do you all think? Any recommendations?

Chris

Reactions: 1 person

It sounds like what you want to do is have a digipeater in your vehicle to 'repeat' your hand held radio. If so, then either the Kenwood '700 or the '710 can do that digipeating very nicely. Both of those radios can be used as a 'digi' only when you want, doesn't have to do it all the time. That 'digi' also doesn't necessarily have to have a GPS since it only repeats what it receives. Of course, adding a GPS would be nice.
Bionics makes some nice thingys! I use one in the car, no need to tie up a radio. It all depends on the terrain and what kind of antenna you have, but they do work nicely. (That's the RTG model, not the AIO.)
I also use a TM-V700 as a digipeater at a remote site for quite some time. It's done just dandy. It may be 'old' but who cares if it fit's the need? (Can you tell I like Kenwood??)
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Im going to get back into

packet and aprs,its been many yrs,going to get a new kantronix or a signal link or both,i might use the signal link on my ft450d for the digi modes,and the kantronix kpc3+ for 2mtrs,we use alot of packet in Missouri for the traffic net...73 de n0zna in Mizzo

'Doc answered most of your questions and I'll take a shot at a few of the others.

You can certainly use your TH-D72 as a digipeater with an amp in your mobile. I've posted instructions on how to set it up to digipeat, so if you can't figure it out let me know and I'll find it. The hiking HT at that point is up to you. Personally I like the VX-8DR for outdoors activities because it has a ton of functionality along with being waterproof and really tough.

Another option for the mobile is to use whatever mobile you might already have and just purchase a cheap TNC like the TNC-X to get you APRS digipeater capability. You need a PC to initially program it (and possibly start it up before you leave on your hike) but that could be a fairly inexpensive way to go. BTW, the FTM-350 cannot digipeat.

It sounds like what you want to do is have a digipeater in your vehicle to 'repeat' your hand held radio. If so, then either the Kenwood '700 or the '710 can do that digipeating very nicely. Both of those radios can be used as a 'digi' only when you want, doesn't have to do it all the time. That 'digi' also doesn't necessarily have to have a GPS since it only repeats what it receives. Of course, adding a GPS would be nice.
Bionics makes some nice thingys! I use one in the car, no need to tie up a radio. It all depends on the terrain and what kind of antenna you have, but they do work nicely. (That's the RTG model, not the AIO.)
I also use a TM-V700 as a digipeater at a remote site for quite some time. It's done just dandy. It may be 'old' but who cares if it fit's the need? (Can you tell I like Kenwood??)
- 'Doc

Doc, thanks for getting back to me. A digipeter is exactly what I want, and based on Moleculo's reply below the D72 and V700 or 710 are the only radios that will do what I want. My issue with purchasing the V700 or 710 is how old it is, the cose, and the lack of internal GPS (I know you can buy the green unit). I am aware I don't need GPS for a digipeter but for mobile I'd rather have it.

I also like the Bionics products, but I would hate to be limited while hiking to strictly a transmitter, although, it is better than nothing.

Regarding Kenwood, I love there stuff, just wish they would come out with some more new models!

packet and aprs,its been many yrs,going to get a new kantronix or a signal link or both,i might use the signal link on my ft450d for the digi modes,and the kantronix kpc3+ for 2mtrs,we use alot of packet in Missouri for the traffic net...73 de n0zna in Mizzo

Thanks!

'Doc answered most of your questions and I'll take a shot at a few of the others.

You can certainly use your TH-D72 as a digipeater with an amp in your mobile. I've posted instructions on how to set it up to digipeat, so if you can't figure it out let me know and I'll find it. The hiking HT at that point is up to you. Personally I like the VX-8DR for outdoors activities because it has a ton of functionality along with being waterproof and really tough.

Another option for the mobile is to use whatever mobile you might already have and just purchase a cheap TNC like the TNC-X to get you APRS digipeater capability. You need a PC to initially program it (and possibly start it up before you leave on your hike) but that could be a fairly inexpensive way to go. BTW, the FTM-350 cannot digipeat.

Moleculo, thanks for taken the time to answer, your posts have been very helpful, and instrumental in my decision to get the D72.

I really would like to leave the D72 as my mobile set-up as it currently is and get an 8DR, but I am just put off with the way Yaesu nickles and dimes you. (I ran the numbers and it would be around $600 to get set-up with the 8DR, at that rate I'd rather by the TM-v710.) Also, I sold my VX-5R to purchase the D72, and I love the Kenwood, and how Kenwood as a company does business!

So, at this point I am learning toward one of the following options:

A) Purchase another TH-D72 to take out with me hiking and leave my current D72 set-up in the car as a mobile and use it as a digipeter with my mirage amp. Cost: $470

B) Purchase the Kenwood TM-V710 with GPS add-on and make it my mobile unit, which will in turn give me more power output, and the ability to cross band repeat. Cost: $670

What do you all think? Which option would you go for?

Chris

So, at this point I am learning toward one of the following options:

A) Purchase another TH-D72 to take out with me hiking and leave my current D72 set-up in the car as a mobile and use it as a digipeter with my mirage amp. Cost: $470

B) Purchase the Kenwood TM-V710 with GPS add-on and make it my mobile unit, which will in turn give me more power output, and the ability to cross band repeat. Cost: $670

What do you all think? Which option would you go for?

Chris

I prefer mobile radios in a vehicle.

My opinion is that either the 'old' '710 or the '700 radios would work just fine as a digipeater in your vehicle. Since all that either of them would be doing is repeating the signal from the radio you would be carrying, they wouldn't need a GPS receiver. You can poke in the coordinates of where you parked your vehicle manually if you think you have to do that.
- 'Doc

Another mobile radio to consider is the Alinco DR-135 MKIII - it can digipeat as well with an add-on TNC board.

I would recommend the Argent Data Tracker 2 board for this radio - it's cheaper and more reliable than the Alinco board.

Also, the combination above will only cost you about $244.95 ($169.95 for the Radio + $75 for the Tracker 2 TNC).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.