• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Post your mobile Amatuer radio set up.

These are what I have in my old Suburban; a Uniden Bearcat PC68XL into a K40 4' Fiberglass antenna mounted on the R/F fender at the edge of the hood and a Yaesu FT8000R 2m/70cm into a Tucker Twin Band magnetic mount antenna stuck on the roof. The console box that contains them is a homemade box. I designed it so the radios are level with my eye to prevent glare and so that I can easily slide each radio out as needed. It is made of wood and just covered with some vinyl that is close to the same color as the interior. The external speakers really help me to hear the radios in a noisy mobile environment. The entire package is pretty much self-contained except for antennas and the power supply. For protection I keep a gray towel draped over them when not in use to keep thieving prying eyes from lusting for a pawn shop loan.
Mobiletranseivers.jpg
Looks great bro thanks for sharing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

MitchellB: I have that exact model of Yaesu. I think (looking at the reviews, anyway) that you and I are about the only ones that have working units. I bought it when they first came out (1996, I do believe) and I love mine. Yaesu makes an FT-8800, but it won't receive the 1240-1300Mhz ham band like the 8000 will. Plus, the FT-8000 has the functions of the buttons actually on the screen so you can see what they do in the dark. I wish they would put the "guts" of the 8800 into an 8000 body, lol. It's such a cool looking radio...every bit as modern looking as the 8800. Just last year the right side volume/squelch started going out. I can no longer receive anything on the right side unless I hold the vol/squelch a certain way. I don't know if it needs to be resoldered, or and entirely new vol/squelch knob put in. Shouldn't cost too much, but I have no idea where to find the vol/squelch knob, though. Guess that will be an upcoming project.

Yaesu FTM-350r on a Lido seat bolt mount. Mic is attached to a "custom" wood holder bracket thingy I made.

Antenna = Comet CA-2x4SR.

ftm350.jpg

Yaesu FTM-350r on a Lido seat bolt mount. Mic is attached to a "custom" wood holder bracket thingy I made.

Antenna = Comet CA-2x4SR.

ftm350.jpg

Looking good Mario. I dig them car seat pattern. Look like the same my buddy's got in his plane.

Reactions: 1 person
Yea ahh, that is a FT8000R in my truck that I bought new in 1996 also. I’ve regretted buying it for a couple reasons. The display is difficult for my old eyes to read now mounted between the front seats like I have it, and to me it is a little complicated for mobile use. I wished I had bought a simpler radio, but back in 1996 I had just got my license as wanted all the bells and whistles I could afford. What really killed me on Yaesu stuff was in 2003 when I bought the Suburban it is mounted in now; after swapping the radio out of my old Grand Wagoneer the radio never fired up again in the Suburban. After contacting Yaesu about getting it repaired (I knew it was long out of warranty and would cost me, but I wanted the manufacturer to do the work) they pointed me to AES because Yaesu does not repair or have parts for the FT8000R anymore. It was only 7 years old then and used sparingly at that. AES repaired it for $89 and it has worked like a champ ever since, but that just burned me that Yaesu would not repair their own equipment.

Yea ahh, that is a FT8000R in my truck that I bought new in 1996 also. I’ve regretted buying it for a couple reasons. The display is difficult for my old eyes to read now mounted between the front seats like I have it, and to me it is a little complicated for mobile use. I wished I had bought a simpler radio, but back in 1996 I had just got my license as wanted all the bells and whistles I could afford. What really killed me on Yaesu stuff was in 2003 when I bought the Suburban it is mounted in now; after swapping the radio out of my old Grand Wagoneer the radio never fired up again in the Suburban. After contacting Yaesu about getting it repaired (I knew it was long out of warranty and would cost me, but I wanted the manufacturer to do the work) they pointed me to AES because Yaesu does not repair or have parts for the FT8000R anymore. It was only 7 years old then and used sparingly at that. AES repaired it for $89 and it has worked like a champ ever since, but that just burned me that Yaesu would not repair their own equipment.

Well my mobile ftm-350ar has one burnt out led in the screen and since I cant finds the reciept from the purchase in March ill have to pay. The yaesu email guy didnt say who was repairing it....maybe yaesu just wont work on old radios ?????

Are you running the rumbler as well ???

Nah. It's loud enough IMO. My buddy has the rumblers and they are cool. He has some cash the spend tho.

Full light whelen liberty led , 10 surface mount whelen heads and a cen com platinum? (the newest one) and some interior bars in the side windows.

View attachment 7527

D700 under the radio in cubby and a FTM-350 on custom bracket. Both dual band radios. Siren and light controller next to shifter.

A little bright there on the display... Give me a few days and I'll try to take a picture of my setup. I just bought a ranger 2950DX (amber display). I've got a Baofeng UV-3R handy talky (2m/75cm) 2w max. Will install the ranger in an Isuzu I-290 pickup just below my Cobra LTD 29 BT.

And they can't scrounge up a copy of your receipt?

Honestly I can fix the led which I would rather do my self I dnt want to be without a mobile rig for weeks. When I can do it in 10min less. Problem is I dont know how to get the front of the face unclipped from the circuit board !! If someone has a technique to getting it apart ill have it fixed no problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.