• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

power feeding a texas star dx 667 v ?

wheelman918

Nov 22, 2014
ill be putting a dx 667v in my truck, what ga. of wire should i run from the battery to the cab its a 4x4 toyota not a semi? second should i use a capacitor at the battery like the bumping stereo kids do?

Caps aren't going to help much, If anything get one good batt for the front then Add another in the rear if it's neeeded. I ran a 4 pill tnt 600hd fine in a Nissan pathfinder with stock alt and a good battery up front. Don't over drive the amp. And like binrat said bigger is better!! #4awg min or larger. And have a good ground the same size as the power, I use the seat bolt, just make sure to sand the area and use a little bit of no-ox and it will be good!

Reactions: wheelman918
Caps aren't going to help much, If anything get one good batt for the front then Add another in the rear if it's neeeded. I ran a 4 pill tnt 600hd fine in a Nissan pathfinder with stock alt and a good battery up front. Don't over drive the amp. And like binrat said bigger is better!! #4awg min or larger. And have a good ground the same size as the power, I use the seat bolt, just make sure to sand the area and use a little bit of no-ox and it will be good!
i do have an optima battery a gell battery for the winch

That would work fine, a yellow or red top optima, or even check out XS power batts as well, they make some nice agm batts as well.

That would work fine, a yellow or red top optima, or even check out XS power batts as well, they make some nice agm batts as well.
mine is a red top some good 3 ga , the battery is on the passenger side and thats where it will come in 41/2 to 5 feet tops should feed that thing?

If you have not bought the 667V, I would save some money and just get a 500.
The 667 is a cranky beast of a amp, runs hot, and will not produce much more power than a 500. Your 148 will dive it just fine.
The 667 just eats up more current and makes more heat that you have to get rid of.
This is experience talking, been there, done that.
No one you talk to will ever be able to tell the difference between the two amps.
If you already have the 667, be very careful how much dead key/peak power you drive into it, put two fans on it.
The Cap is a waste of money for RF.

Jeff

The 667 is a cranky beast of a amp, runs hot, and will not produce much more power than a 500. Your 148 will dive it just fine.
The 667 just eats up more current and makes more heat that you have to get rid of.
No one you talk to will ever be able to tell the difference between the two amps.
If you already have the 667, be very careful how much dead key/peak power you drive into it, put two fans on it.

Jeff
yes im ocd about the cooling i planed that from the go i already got the 667 coming, my 148f deads keys around 2 1/2 to 3 watts swing like 15 its a 15 watt radio on ssb im not sure

Jeff
to be honest the 2 2879 pill amp i have is plenty, i get a new 667v in the box and some other stuff, could just sell a new in box dx 667v get some of my money back

Reactions: binrat

Jeff
one stupid question Jeff isnt the 667 a high drive? is 3 watts dead key on am too much?

Jeff
im going to make a new cover right off the bat out of aluminum with fan holes, wire upgrade and wont run it wide open, this radio works so well you can talk all over with just the radio, dont know what ill do may keep my old 2 pill and sell the new one

Your biggest boost in power is your first 100 watts, then after that it get expensive and complicated quickly. Keep the 2 pill.

I'm a big fan of the idea that less is more in radio. I want to work the world on 100w or less, bit thats just me... the less power I have to use, the more excited i am to make the DX contact.

Keep your 2 pill and invest in one kick ass antenna system.

I'm a big fan of the idea that less is more in radio. I want to work the world on 100w or less, bit thats just me... the less power I have to use, the more excited i am to make the DX contact.

Keep your 2 pill and invest in one kick ass antenna system.
Your biggest boost in power is your first 100 watts, then after that it get expensive and complicated quickly. Keep the 2 pill.
oh i know ive had many amps, back in the 90s i killed a 1992 dodge dynasty with a big texas star, it would kick the windshield wipers on while you were talking and the car would start pumping white smoke really bad if you were really telling a story the smoke would get so bad you couldnt see the car. lol Looking back as a veteran automotive professional i am today i know it was the RF messing with the 02 sensor and maf sensor and probably explains the sudden death of the electronic controlled transmission (them cars were turds anyways but this was 1995 and it was a 92 car i got a good deal on it) I had a 667 years ago too in a 79 chev pu and for some strange reason it went thru the HEI ignition modules like crazy, was an old carburetor truck with electronic ignition, needless to say i hope it dont kill my tundra or the toyota 4x4 playtoy of mine. lol

Reactions: TonyV225

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.