• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

POWER SUPPLY TO RUN HF

Some people put a resistor in the fan circuit so it always runs a slower, quieter speed. It also lets the regular circuit work if PS gets too hot. Check the forums of the fan kit. I use an Alinco 32Amp switcher and the fan does not make too much noise.

That being the case, I would suggest regulated power supplies like the Astron or as Captain Kilowatt mentioned Tripp lite PR 40. These are kind of big and heavy though but can sit on top of your station with no noise since they have no fans.

Be sure to look at the Power supplies continuous rating not the peak. This can be misleading since a 35 amp peak power supply has usually only a 25 amp continuous rating. Most HF rigs can run just fine on a power supply continuous rating of 25 amps which leaves a little headroom for station accessories. i.e. tuner, meters, etc.

The Astron RS-35A or the RS-35M if you want meters on the front will work fine and can be found new for around $180.00.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-004434

Good point and one that I forgot to mention. My PR-40is rated at 40 amps peak and 32 amps continuous. My rig draws 25 amps peak maximum so I have a few amps left for accessories. I also have a Motorola power supply rated for 25 amps continuous so i have plenty of amps available for mobile radios etc. I prefer two separate supplies because each is capable of powering my HF radio and in the event one fails I can at least stay on HF and have a couple accessories as well.

Reactions: Sonar
The megawatt supplies fan isn't that loud. And at $60 for a 36A supply, they are hard to beat. Good filtering and no hash that i come across. Moleculo did a good review of them as well. They are a site sponsor and have power supplies from 30A to 50a. The 50A suppy is only $110. But all that is needed is the S-400-12. I use one on my Icom 746 and I don't hear the fan where the supply is located which is under my desk. The small fan runs all the time. Yes there are many other options. But for the money I'll say the megawatt supplies are worth the money and perform well. Mine stays on all weekend at times and I truly forget it's even on until uncheck everything to shut down my equipment totally. Good supply for the money. JMHO. Also you can check them out of you scroll to the bottom of the page. Like I said, they are a site sponsor I am pretty sure. And they are at least built in USA and carry a 2yr warranty. And I have heard of cases where people have brought ones in older then the 2 years and gotten a new one. Good customer support and good supplies. JMO. And it with the 50A model I don't think you'll have any issue running any HF radio you want. Heck the S-400-12 with its 36A rating will run most HF radios as well. My Icom 746 has never had an issue with not enough amperage or voltage that is for sure. Again this is just my experience. Maybe others have had bad experience with the megawatt supplies, but I have not. And I'm sure many others here will say the same. Hope this helps and have a good day.
Would you explain hash? Many replying to my question are using the word and since you were the first I thought I'd ask you. Thanks. 73

Would you explain hash? Many replying to my question are using the word and since you were the first I thought I'd ask you. Thanks. 73
Check Moleculo's review of the MegaWatt and the Chinese clone. He recorded the "hash". It's just really bad interference that affects your receiver.

Brett

Reactions: 222DBFL
Got beat to it. Exactly what Space Cowboy and 2RT307 are referring to. Read the thread by Moleculo like posted and you'll understand why we all are recommending this power supply. It's a really good review and has detailed photos of different switching power supplies and the filtering or "lack of", on the Chinese clones. Thanks fellas for posting that stuff up. Suppose that is why it's a group effort!! Have a good one and hope you find what you are looking for there Sonar. Good day.

Reactions: Sonar
Got beat to it. Exactly what Space Cowboy and 2RT307 are referring to. Read the thread by Moleculo like posted and you'll understand why we all are recommending this power supply. It's a really good review and has detailed photos of different switching power supplies and the filtering or "lack of", on the Chinese clones. Thanks fellas for posting that stuff up. Suppose that is why it's a group effort!! Have a good one and hope you find what you are looking for there Sonar. Good day.
I had an idea what hash was but now I know.
I also understand why filtering in power supplies is important.
It wouldl sxxk to purchase a PS at any price only to to find out it causes annoying interference. I'm gonna check out the megawatt power supplies first. Thanks all.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I'm going to break the pattern and recommend the Alinco DM-330MVT switching power supply. It delivers 30 Amps anywhere between 5 and 15 VDC ,and is as quiet as a traditional linear power supply. I use it on HF thru 440 MHz and have never heard any birdies or hash anywhere. There's a noise offset pot that you could use if there was any noise, but I have never had a reason to use it. The supply come with a variety of connection options: large posts in the back, cigarette lighter socket or a pair of push-type connectors on the front. Meter is switchable between volts or amps. There is a newer model that also includes a USB port on the front using the traditional Type A USB socket. It is less than $200.00 and available from most major ham suppliers. I use this supply for my IC-7000 that is noted for needed 13.8V at 22 Amps. It's been working for 7 years without any problems. Can't weigh more than 2 pounds: It's relatively light for what it is.

Mike, KC9Q

Reactions: Old_Crow
I always buy astrons. Have a 35 and 70 amp regulated. But I must admit I have been running 100 watt and less radios with a ss-25 astron switching power supply for the last 5 years or so with 0 hash and 0 problems and 0 noise. Im going to put a small station in my rv and like the fact that its lite and it so far has served me well. They make a ss-30 that is 25 amp cont 30 ics

interesting, a TS 480HX is £719.95.... INCLUDING 20% VAT......... thats' only $1057.53 USD

without the VAT, its only $881.28 USD

I've just looked at HRO as I was a bit surprised by your post but not as surprised as I was to find out it was far more expensive by 30% pre-sale price and even the sale price is higher than ours including our sales tax.

Reactions: Road Squawker
I'm surprised there's been no discussion utilizing "server" power supplies which can be re-purposed for our use. They are plentiful on eBay. They are of high quality that is unmatched. Oh, and they are cheap. I just bought two for $16.00CAN/piece. Thats like $10US. 13v/62.4A! Jumper a few pins. Make up connections. A little bit of fiddling and away you go. Can't anybody fiddle anymore or is it just appliance operators following this thread? See links below to get started;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171948130798?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.