• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

predator 10k

Apr 25, 2005
Pontiac, Michigan
I'm Reading on this forum that this antenna is the best one to get these days. my question is how do you know which one to get? the new competition one? I have a 86 olds cutlass and was wanting to mount it in the middle of the trunk lid, is there any special ball mount to buy for this antenna too .and what size coax to use and length??? thanks

225 in the great lakes!!!

on the cutlass id go with the 22 or 27 inch competition 10k (just to have the lastest and greatest) . since the trunk gonna be opened id be careful about slamming it shut . id do a puck mount or a stainless steel ball mount since its a trunk and be sure you have a good ground . rg-8x coax if youre running several hundred watts or less and lmr400 for 1000 watts or more . run the lengths you need and have an external swr meter , dont go by one on a radio .
heres a decient puck mount for $50 delivered . http://rfpower.org/ this is also a a good stud mount if you have a thick steel roof http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/catalog/item/3901129/3623123.htm $13.95 delivered .
a roof mount would be optimal . why r u trunk mounting instead roof mounting ? a 10k is really gonna stick out from that vehicle no matter where you put it . a wilson 5000 roof mounted might do a lil better than a trunk mounted 10k and not be near as much of an eye catcher . if you dont care put the 10k (22 inch shaft) on the roof . the higher the antenna the better .

good luck .

Make sure you *ground* the truck lid to the rest of the car...I had this problem myself.
thats cause trunk lids are the WORSt place to mount a antenna
reason
very poor ground [if any]
poor groundplane effect.the roof of the vehicle makes a much better groundplane
id never reccomend anyone to mount a antenna on a trunk lid much less a 10k

27 inch original coil 10k
puck mount with tiltable adjustment
25 foot of flat braid ground strap
213 coax
ground to the mount to the trunk lid bolts then run down to frame on both sides of frame of car

I would agree, if your wanting to mount a Predator 10K on the trunk lid, that Hockey Puck style mount that RFpower.org sell's would be the way to go...Then run a couple of ground straps off each side of the trunk-lid to the frame...

I also would go with the 22" shaft 10K Comp....

If you guys want to see the best set up for a car, email me at cowtown10k@msn.com. The best set up is on the trunk. It is easy to ground and is a killer in the direction you are pointed. I have a 22" comp mounted on the far back of the trunk of my little Monte Carlo NASCAR and is the best set up I have ever had on any of my own personal vehicles. Kale

If you guys want to see the best set up for a car, email me at cowtown10k@msn.com. The best set up is on the trunk. It is easy to ground and is a killer in the direction you are pointed. I have a 22" comp mounted on the far back of the trunk of my little Monte Carlo NASCAR and is the best set up I have ever had on any of my own personal vehicles. Kale
thats funny..considering the best ground plane comes from the roof not the trunk
this is ALWAYS what the older cbers/hams have taught me.they have been in radio
for 30plus years.ive also tested numerous antennas mounted on the trunk vs the
roof. when mounted on the roof i always got bettr results with swrs.and best tx/rx
wasnt a big difference just noticable.swrs were much simpler aswell.didnt need all
that grounding as swrs were always around a 1.5.

Just how old do you have to be to know what you're doing to have a good set up. I'm 69 years old and been building the 10k antenna for 14 years now. What's so good about 1.5.1 What's wrong with 1.0? It depends on whether you want an omnidirectional antenna or a directional antenna. It all depends on what you are planning on doing with it. When skip is rolling, I like to point in the direction the skip is rolling out of. Same way with a keydown set up. Put the antenna on the rooftop in the middle and get your brains beat out. What I'm saying is that the trunk is NOT by far the worst place to mount an antenna. I don't know about any other antenna but the Predator 10k's will tune best back towards the back of a big ground plane like a Suburbon than it will in the middle. Kale

k40003on4.jpg

k40009er6.jpg

this is my car I know it's not Kale's antenna but it works great swr 1.1 where I want it, it has four grounds. more pictures coming up.

k40002lq8.jpg

Last edited:
I'm Reading on this forum that this antenna is the best one to get these days. my question is how do you know which one to get? the new competition one? I have a 86 olds cutlass and was wanting to mount it in the middle of the trunk lid, is there any special ball mount to buy for this antenna too .and what size coax to use and length??? thanks

225 in the great lakes!!!
just curious if ya got a antenna yet

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.