• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President John Q

redbeast

Aug 14, 2016
Does anyone have any input on the president John Q model? Just picked one up for free, initial test shows it turns on, tx/rx light operates, but no LEDs on in display. Good radio? Approximate age? Were the president's made by uniden? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys. 73

redbeast,
I have no personal experience with this radio. I believe it is made by Uniden. My guess as to age would be late 1977 to 1978. It is very similar (chassis wise-may have some different features) to a Cobra 21XLR. It uses a uPD858 PLL chip (desirable and modifiable for extra channels) and a 3 crystal PLL mixing scheme.It can be found in Sam's Photofacts CB-118.

Schematics are posted here.
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/president/john_q/index.htm

73's
David

redbeast,
I have no personal experience with this radio. I believe it is made by Uniden. My guess as to age would be late 1977 to 1978. It is very similar (chassis wise-may have some different features) to a Cobra 21XLR. It uses a uPD858 PLL chip (desirable and modifiable for extra channels) and a 3 crystal PLL mixing scheme.It can be found in Sam's Photofacts CB-118.

Schematics are posted here.
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/president/john_q/index.htm

73's
David
Thanks, Dmans. Got the unit for free and not real familiar with the president line.

Yes, it was made by Uniden. Therefore, it has a decent build quality. Like ALL of the Unidens I have picked up over the years, and have restored most of them. Good stuff - Maynard!

It is worth fixing. Probably will need a recap and possibly a channel led replaced. It happens. But caps will be a big issue in this old rig. Since it is an AM only chassis, it will need 25-30 caps replaced - somewhere around there (the AM/SSB chassis have some 40 caps in them and take a while to recap!!!). Seems all of the old Unidens need recapping, had to do it to all of the ones I restored. But they turned into xlnt radios when they get some TLC.

Reactions: Dmans
Seems all of the old Unidens need recapping, had to do it to all of the ones I restored. But they turned into xlnt radios when they get some TLC.

redbeast,
What Robb said!!

At least you got it for the right price!

73's
David

Yes, it was made by Uniden. Therefore, it has a decent build quality. Like ALL of the Unidens I have picked up over the years, and have restored most of them. Good stuff - Maynard!

It is worth fixing. Probably will need a recap and possibly a channel led replaced. It happens. But caps will be a big issue in this old rig. Since it is an AM only chassis, it will need 25-30 caps replaced - somewhere around there (the AM/SSB chassis have some 40 caps in them and take a while to recap!!!). Seems all of the old Unidens need recapping, had to do it to all of the ones I restored. But they turned into xlnt radios when they get some TLC.
Thanks Robb, good to know.Whats the chances that the channel selector is fudged up enuff to affect the led display? This unit has been obviously sitting around in a poor environment, but everything xcept the led seems to work, it was hard to make out whether the segments were dim or not when I plugged it in to my mobile setup. Any source on decoding serial #??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.