• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Probably beating a dead horse...

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I think I read a post last month on your guys favorite MICs. You guys came back with a lot of old MICs that are not made anymore. I would like to ask what MICs you guys like/recommend brand new.

Thanks

hand mic or desk mic?

the cheap superstar pistol grip power mics on ebay for around $26 are really a good sounding mic, and the d104's with the radioshack element also work great, my buddy has a collection of D104's and everyone he does a mic test with says the same thing, the d104 with the radioshack $2.99 element sound the best of all of them.

these sound the most natural sounding,, sure some of the other mics may be louder but they always seem to sound tinny(high) not natural.

Reactions: 1 person
Ready for this?

All microphones can be broken down into two things, the microphone element and it's housing. There are quite a number of different types of mic-elements, dynamic, and electret for just two of them. They all have different acoustic characteristics. Those housings have two purposes, 'looks' and acoustic properties. Sometimes it's just not very practical to use a 'desk-mic' when a 'hand-mic' would be easier to deal with. You can turn that around too, hand-mic/desk-mic., OR, headset kind'a thingy.
Use whichever mic 'grabs'ya, you know? The housing doesn't count for much really, but that element inside certainly can. The absolute most bestest microphone in the world makes you sound exactly like yourself. After that, it's vanity...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 3 people
I think I read a post last month on your guys favorite MICs. You guys came back with a lot of old MICs that are not made anymore. I would like to ask what MICs you guys like/recommend brand new.

Thanks

also if its going to be a mobile install id recommend a good noise canselling mic like
st65dx [my favorite] rk56,636l. power mics will just bring in more noise than actual audio
2/ if its going to be a base theres lots of possibilites can use a noise canselling mic
if its noisy where radio is. power mics there some choices too base or mobile .
i havent tried any NEW mics made today. but i have heard a cr577 from rflimited
sound good .and if ya want echeo the rflimited the 2018 xtreme sounds good.
for base ive also heard a jcd-dm201 [i think] that right theres a post about it in
the mic section of this fourm.these mics ive heard here locally not dx or youtube

Has anyone heard/have an Astatic 878?
The 878 is a rebuild of the old Astatic 1104c which was an excellent mike. I used 1104c's back in my CB days and use one still on my Yaesu 101ZD with excellent results.

The 1104c had the gain and tone controls on the outside. It was easy to tailor the frequency responce to your voice with the 1104c.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.