• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

problem with x80 base box

tallsup

May 20, 2008
ok this is how it went,sold a guy my x80 base box and when i got it back it did half the watts so im looking for pics of the inside at the variable dial how it is wired thanks

ok this is how it went,sold a guy my x80 base box and when i got it back it did half the watts so im looking for pics of the inside at the variable dial how it is wired thanks

If you turn the pot wide open and it still does half the watts, something else is wrong. It should swing between 200 and 250 watts peak when driven with a healthy radio.

Sounds like the dude broke it and then gave it back to ya. Hope he didn't blow a final by running it on a crappy antenna system.

Reactions: 2 people
Half the normal output in most cases = Blown final transistor my friend.

What Tony said

Good point, the guy might have run way too high of a dead key into it burning up part or all of that variable pot.

Sound like a bad transistor. Look for the 10ohm resistor the smallest resistor in the box should be on the input side of the box next to input transformers or when looking at the transistors you should be able to read and not upside down the should be right above them to the left or right depending on which transistor your looking at .

The single stage push-pull amplifier (one that has a pair of transistors and transformers) will not make any output whatsoever if one of the two transistors are blown. The push-pull circuit relies on both transistors functioning in order to reproduce the sinewave output.

You either have a problem in the input or output stages of the amplifier probably caused by over driving the amp. Things to look for on the input are burnt resistors, defective power variable resistor or a bad padder capacitor across the input. Things to check on the output would be a bad or misadjusted capacitor across the collectors on the output transformer or directly across the output to ground.

Those XF amps, don't like the swr been above a 1.3, with the amp on.....and they don't like too much drive from a radio, .....been there, done that..

I have an X-80, and my lying technician told me they didn't hold up well when working sideband.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio