• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Proper amp for radio(S)

Yes

This Dave Made is a "True" Comp Amp. What is the difference?? This one has 2 huge power supplies inside (This is a BASE model runs off 110) I has extra large capacitors and resistors along with other additional parts. I am having a relay replaced on it as one of the terminals was re-soldered by the previous owner and not done right. I hope to have it back in a few days. When I do I am going to try it on the 2995 at the lowest DK I can get on the 2995 and gradually go up. I also have an older model 2980 ( I literally love this radio), more DK spread, 0 to about 20.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Every amp will require different power to key up.
What drive power is needed for an amp? If I have variable power on the radio I start with the power is at the lowest possible and key up on AM, listening for the amp to key. I gradually increase power by repeating keying and listening for the amp to key up until the amp keys, then I keep it at that power level on the radio. I find it's simple and for the most part does not over drive the amp.

I noticed that when I was trying to help someone set his radio's variable deadkey to just turn his amp on. Variable deadkey meaning the guy who sold him the radio had torn the deadkey pot off the pcb and mounted a volume switch on the side of the radio and soldered it's leads to where the pot once was. The guy I was trying to help in this case is a stroke survivor and his comprehensive skills are diminished. Thanks for the info!

This Dave Made is a "True" Comp Amp. What is the difference?? This one has 2 huge power supplies inside (This is a BASE model runs off 110) I has extra large capacitors and resistors along with other additional parts. I am having a relay replaced on it as one of the terminals was re-soldered by the previous owner and not done right. I hope to have it back in a few days. When I do I am going to try it on the 2995 at the lowest DK I can get on the 2995 and gradually go up. I also have an older model 2980 ( I literally love this radio), more DK spread, 0 to about 20.

Are you saying you have a 2980 that can dead key 20 watts? I sure hope not. You have been given good sound advise here on how to run that amp and what does and does not work with an RCI 2995. In the end do what ya want to, it's your gear and your money. :bdh::bdh::bdh:;)

More about this

Are you saying you have a 2980 that can dead key 20 watts? I sure hope not. You have been given good sound advise here on how to run that amp and what does and does not work with an RCI 2995. In the end do what ya want to, it's your gear and your money. :bdh::bdh::bdh:;)

Soooo...enlighten me please. I am NOT being a smart A** but do not know...it is so blasted confusing to me. Yes, the 2980 will DK from 1 watt all the way UP to 20 watts (Rated at 25 PEP) This is on AM. I have NOT tried the 2980 at any higher DK then 5 watts on any amp as it is my "Working Radio" that I KNOW I can use all of my amps on...mobiles HD and bases reg drive. All I am saying is please explain what you're saying about the 2980 DK'ing 20 watts ...what is wrong with that? ( I am talking about using NOTHING but the radio) I don't use it at 20 watts, normally no more than 7 or 8.
As for the 2995...my question and problem is what have I got to do to make an amp work on such a high drive radio? It has been "WHACKPACKED" by the Radio Active Bunch ... I know other people who have 2995's that does not have but one power level and will DK as low as 2 watts and as high at 30. I don't know a thing about all this "Whack Packing" and can't get anyone at R A To answer any questions for me. (This was done by the original owner) It is only a few months old. Do I need to rip out all this Whack Pack S*** and return it to stock?? It is pointing more and more to that direction. I truly have been in radio since 1972 and have only been "Exposed" to so called "Modern Technology" for about 5 months, since buying newer equipment...no problems with the older stuff, just wanted to update. I am 64 yrs young and things don't register as easily as they once did...Ask me something about the old Presidents, the Johnsons, and Black Cat Modulators and Linears/amps and I can most likely tell you without even thinking. This "New stuff" is a totally new animal for me...now yes...call me Doo-mas if you want I just wanted everyone to know why I am a Doo-Mas.
OK...the Dave Made Comp Amp will "do" 600+ PEP with 2 watts DK on the 2980...I also have a Xforce XT400012 that will do almost 1400 PEP with 2 watt DK...But put it on the 2995 with the lowest setting (10 watts +- 2 or 3) it will NOT be understandable and way too tight due to the high DK...Before the XT model I bought a 400012HIGH DRIVE, that the "Book/Manual) said give it between 15 and 20 DK, which I did and she blew....Burned out about half of the guts and would only put out 100...not even as much as the 2995 by itself. The same things go for the low drive mobiles (Tex Star and Fat Boy...Fat Boy a blasted JOKE PM me for more info).
Hopefully I have confused everything more LOL...if anyone understands this and can offer some reasonable advice I will truly appreciate it. 73's everyone.

The reason 9C1Driver says that a 20W deadkey is bad is because from factory, it should only be set to deadkey a maximum of 10W. If it deadkeys 20W on AM, it can damage the finals in the radio, they're not suppose to put out that kind of deadkey output on AM. Since you're not running it anywhere near 20W deadkey, you're not hurting the finals, but I wouldn't try to run it wide open at 20W for any length of time, you will burn out the finals. Since it's a 2980, it'll have the C2312 bipolar transistors in there, and they are getting scarce.

Hope this info helps. :)

~Cheers~

The reason 9C1Driver says that a 20W deadkey is bad is because from factory, it should only be set to deadkey a maximum of 10W. If it deadkeys 20W on AM, it can damage the finals in the radio, they're not suppose to put out that kind of deadkey output on AM. Since you're not running it anywhere near 20W deadkey, you're not hurting the finals, but I wouldn't try to run it wide open at 20W for any length of time, you will burn out the finals. Since it's a 2980, it'll have the C2312 bipolar transistors in there, and they are getting scarce.

Hope this info helps. :)
~Cheers~

Now THIS is information I CAN UNDERSTAND!!!! Thank YOU so very much! A lot of times people assume that I am running to P^#* out of everything because the majority do...my $$$ is too hard to come by to just see it go up in electrical smoke! Thank You again. It does the 20+ DK on am for whatever reason but it does away with the modulation swing when it is high. I tried it to see and that is what I "Figured" would happen and did. You helped a lot! 73's

No problem. If you're wanting to run an amp with the 2980, get something that has 2879's in it, and run about 2-3W deadkey if it's a 2 transistor amp, 4-5W deadkey if you're running a 4 transistor amp. That's all you'll ever need for deadkey on AM. If the 2980 hasn't been hacked up (modulation limiters clipped or removed), it'll sound fine. Good luck!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Exit thirteen is absolutely right. Look into maybe a newer style TNT 350HD, they are at least biased b and have ssb and pre amp as well. I love my magnaforce 350hd, about the same as the TNT 350hd. 2 watt dead key and let it swing. Good for 300-400 watts depending on the radio. More like 300, but on ssb it rocks as well and I always get good audio reports whether running my magnum 257hp or my uniden pc122xl. The TNT 600HD is a decent 4 pill amp as well. Or you could try and have a custom builder build you one. Whatever you decide, at least get one that will operate on ssb ( biased a/b or b). Good luck and god bless.

Reactions: 1 person
Great replies!

I totally agree on the SSB issue. I love SSB...DX is much better, easier to contact my relatives in Ireland, the UK and Germany...many other places. Even with my 2 Pill Tex star DX399 (Using the 2980). It will swing to about 400 on USB.on the 2980. The 2980 has never been opened to my knowledge and is an old model...NO WX on it!
The 2995 is the real problem for me...It has been "Whack Packed" by the original owner (The thing is only 6 months old) Radio Active will not reply to multiple requests for info...I suppose it id due to me not being the original owner. Only reason I bought it was to help the man's wife (Original owner) out after he walked off and left her. I didn't put much into it and got an amp in the deal too. I decided that RA did something to it as it will DK around 10 watts on high power and nothing on low power.(NOT a standard factory option) IF I use low/no power and the 2X4 amp,
(XT400012 the radio shop recommended) I have it will only put out the amount the radio would without anything on high power...Confused hell yes! I even tried a XForce High Drive 4 Pill 2879.
(400012HD) It fried this thing. Both of these will PEP at 1200 swing...I am gonna stop trying to get an amp for it and run what I have on the 2980. It works fine following you guy's advice and trying to use my common sense now that I have a better idea of the concept of how they work. I will post more as time goes on. Thanks Guys!

Citizens Band (CB) Service | FCC.gov
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47tab_02.tpl
"§95.411 (CB Rule 11) May I use power amplifiers?
(a) You may not attach the following items (power amplifiers) to your certificated CB transmitter in any way:

(1) External radio frequency (RF) power amplifiers (sometimes called linears or linear amplifiers); or

(2) Any other devices which, when used with a radio transmitter as a signal source, are capable of amplifying the signal.

(b) There are no exceptions to this rule and use of a power amplifier voids your authority to operate the station.

(c) The FCC will presume you have used a linear or other external RF power amplifier if—

(1) It is in your possession or on your premises; and

(2) There is other evidence that you have operated your CB station with more power than allowed by CB Rule 10, §95.410.

(d) Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply if you hold a license in another radio service which allows you to operate an external RF power amplifier.

[48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]"

All the more reason to get the FCC to change their archaic rules

Or just get a ham licence and you can posses as many crappy amps as you want!
You don't even need to use the ham frequencies...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.